Short video: Amargosa River flowing

Discuss and share your favorite photos, techniques, cameras, or anything else related to photography
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Short video: Amargosa River flowing

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 pm

A short video of the Amargosa River flowing, near Shore Line Butte, on March 11, 2018.

The previous day, it was sprinkling off and on around this area. I camped that night along the north end of the Wade Road, and woke up once and it was a steady rain. Not sure how much fell, or over what area, but it was enough to make the Amargosa flow!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Short video: Amargosa River flowing

Post by wbdeford » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 am

Nice! Official FC rainfall for 3/11 was 0.12". Pahrump shows 0.07", but also 0.16" for 3/10. Ridgecrest shows 0.24" for 3/10. Baker shows 0.23" for 3/10 and 0.04" for 3/11.

So, seems fairly consistent across the area around a 1/4", with a little less in DV, and I would assume more at higher elevations.

SSSdave
Jayhawker

Re: Short video: Amargosa River flowing

Post by SSSdave » Wed May 02, 2018 10:18 am

Thanks! Shows how a storm up high in the higher mountains dropped a lot more precipitation than in the low land valley. CDEC has added many remote solar powered weather stations in the Sierra Nevada over this last decade and equipment is continually being improved. However their program is just for locations of water storage interest so our desert regions still have vast blank zones where the only way one has some idea of how much precipitation falls is via radar. And for DV that is way over in Las Vegas with blocking ranges making that data weak. So I look forward to the day some modest funds are allocated to set up stations within the vast park areas. One of the first ought to be down in the Badwater area in order to possibly capture the next hottest world temperature.