hiker finds human skull

Discuss and share your favorite photos, techniques, cameras, or anything else related to photography
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:35 pm

jacknv7 wrote: I think it looks like the general Tecopa area, and specifically the
China Date Ranch, which has teepee accommodations:
Good eye for detail, Jack, as always.
I could believe that landscape view is the Amargosa Valley.

Tom
Breyfogler
Location: Scottsdale, AZ (winters)-- Healdsburg, CA (Summers)

Post by Tom » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Just breezed through my China Ranch pics from 2007 -- could be around there alright.
Tom
KD7ZJV

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:10 pm

Maybe it ought to become a part of the "bunk trunk" collection ... :lol:
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

CSS3733
Jayhawker

Not a Hoax. I was there!

Post by CSS3733 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:47 pm

I was there with Brielle when we stayed at Cynthia's Tipi's for the weekend and found the skull hiking out in the general SouthWest direction, the trail that leads out from the Date Shakes place and crosses the old, shot up cars, and then past the delapidated building I am told was the Chinese Ranch owners home before reaching the Borax offloading area where the railroad used to pass through. The place we found the skull, it was literally jutting out from the side of what seemed to be a canyon formed by mudslides or an old river or something traversing through that area, was just behind the building, if you go just West of the Old delapidated stone building, then take a hard turn North you'll see a canyon. Head North about a 1/8-1/4 of a mile and the skull was found on the Northwest Canyon Wall (on your left when headed North that is to say). Cynthia was with us and can give witness or details of our experience. The Tribal rep and the Tecopa Sherriff were notified. The Tribal rep took the skull, gave a stern warning to us about what we'd done, and left after we showed him where we'd found it. The sheriff thereafter, told us that these back roads and railroad routes used to act as criminal highways to Vegas to/from Los Angeles and that the tribes had been paid a lot of money by the mob for safe passage for many years, and that while it's possible it's a deceased Native American skull, it's just as likely it's an old mob body dump.
I couldn't tell you which turned out to be true but would love any updates available!

Will attach images soon but am on the phone and can't seem to attach currently![/img]

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:30 pm

IIRC it was the BLM archaeologist who confirmed it was Native American.

N0 02
Breyfogler

Post by N0 02 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Often wondered what happened with this thread. Interesting update.

Thanks.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Re: hiker finds human skull

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 am

Fascinating and I'm glad you obtain those images. Those eye sockets look huge. So many mysteries in Death Valley.
Life begins in Death Valley