Jets in the Canyon

Discuss and share your favorite photos, techniques, cameras, or anything else related to photography
agtoau
Breyfogler

Jets in the Canyon

Post by agtoau » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:03 am

A fun show at Rainbow Canyon, Death Valley National Park.

http://blog.parrikar.com/2015/01/12/jets-in-the-canyon/

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:27 pm

That zoomed in shot is real good! It's so hard to get a shot like they, they are moving by so quickly when they are at their closest to you. I often see them in the northern half of Panamint Valley, but I did not realize they played in Rainbow Canyon in particular.

agtoau
Breyfogler

Post by agtoau » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:03 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:That zoomed in shot is real good! It's so hard to get a shot like they, they are moving by so quickly when they are at their closest to you. I often see them in the northern half of Panamint Valley, but I did not realize they played in Rainbow Canyon in particular.
That shot is actually a crop of the earlier frame. It is extremely hard to fill the frame with the jet and still get a sharp shot from so close a distance.

Yes, Rainbow Canyon is quite the playground for these jets, as you can also see from the video I linked to.

Lizz
Breyfogler

Post by Lizz » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:45 am

The Navy comes up from China Lake, too. On my first trip to Death Valley we were buzzed by a jet coming up a canyon just over Towne Pass. He couldn't have been more than a couple hundred feet above us.
At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class.
http://www.lizzbartlett.com

bbb
Breyfogler

Post by bbb » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:27 am

Terrific shots :eek: I too remember my first time driving across a quiet Panamint Valley and having these jets come roaring towards me, appearing out of no where. Definitely tapped the brakes for a moment before I figured out what was going on.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:15 pm

When I lived in Trona (1987-1992) I often took my boys to Mammoth in the summer for some cool weather and mountain biking on the ski area.

In 1989, I was northbound on the Trona-Wildrose road, AC on, tape player playing, when I heard a sudden high volume wail then scream. As sudden as it happened, I caught sight of the twin exhaust of whatever F series jet was popular at the time in my windshield at no more than 50 feet above ground. And just as suddenly my car (Ford Taurus) started getting all squirrelly from the jet wash.

Over the years, I've seen lots of Panamint Valley, Death Valley and Saline Valley military playfulness, including Rainbow Canyon.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:13 pm

That's so cool, sounds like a Tomcat, F-15.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:52 pm

Watched them a couple of occasions drop down into the canyon at Father Crowley's. Very Top Gun like. First you hear them, then you don't have much time and have to be looking just right. They swoop in, drop fast, then exit low out of the canyon. Not sure what direction that is. SW to NE?

Once driving north on Panamint Valley Rd. several flew towards us following the road, very low, directly overhead.

Very impressive.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Jet closeup

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:22 pm

That shot of the jet close up blows me away. Notice the heat warp the light at the rear of the jet. Thanks for taking and sharing the images. Gets my blood pumping!
Life begins in Death Valley

agtoau
Breyfogler

Post by agtoau » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:34 am

Thank you, all, for your remarks.