I interviewed aviation photographers at Jedi Transition

Discuss and share your favorite photos, techniques, cameras, or anything else related to photography
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

I interviewed aviation photographers at Jedi Transition

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:07 pm

Being new to Death Valley - My biggest surprise so far was exploring Rainbow Canyon, scrambling out the west end, hiking back past Father Crowley Point and discovering several aviation photographers who consented to interviews and the sharing of their exquisite photographs of low flying military aircraft.

I had heard about the jets screaming down Rainbow Canyon but had never seen or heard one during my brief stop overs the past five years. I had seen a few on YouTube which created some of the curiosity to explore that ominous looking canyon one peers into from the visitor parking lot.

I was fortunate enough to iPhone 6 video capture two fly overs/passes just as I finished my scramble out the west end. That was a big WOW! I had managed to capture one distant pass at the mouth of the canyon earlier with a GoPro mounted to my head. The jets are so fast that I learned it takes some real practice to capture a decent image or video. The fly overs are completely unpredictable and the quantity varies greatly from day to day. One group had a scanner to pick of air traffic banter in hopes of getting a clue as to when the next pass was.

I was surprised to learn that Rainbow Canyon is also known as Star Wars Canyon and The Jedi Transition. If you ever experience a low flyer there, you'll understand the comparison immediately.

In spite of these magnificent flying machines being designed to obliterate people deemed enemies and destroy property and create "collateral damage" one can be awestruck at their beauty and the pilot skills involved. Also I gained an appreciation for the art form of aviation photography I did not realize was so well developed by these warm and friendly Death Valley National Park visitors.

Here is my experience in the best way I know how to share with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9iTtNuBL_w

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:12 pm

More trips are needed. On my first trip to Death Valley we had two A-10's using the campgrounds at Eureka Dunes for target practice. It was great. I'd say in only a handful of trips since then have I not had the pleasure of enjoying the Death Valley Air Show. Love it...but why wouldn't I? Aviation is in my blood.

Wingman
Jayhawker

Post by Wingman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks for this really nice video. I've been an aviation photographer for 40 years, and a lover of Rainbow Canyon for just as long, though I've never been successful at combining the two at once. This video has some rainbow Canyon footage in it, from the cockpit point of view. (about 2/3 of the way through)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQbs_PC6TE

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:49 am

Good stuff in that last clip.