Time-lapse: Sunset at Sunset Campground

Discuss and share your favorite photos, techniques, cameras, or anything else related to photography
gedstrom
Grubstaker

Time-lapse: Sunset at Sunset Campground

Post by gedstrom » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:24 am

Here is a time-lapse video I did at Sunset Campground during my last visit in February.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6gl7okoep82e1 ... 4.mp4?dl=1

The original was shot at 1 frame every 10 seconds and is being played back at 30 frames per second. That is a speed-up factor of 300X. The actual time covered was 2 hours and 5 minutes in 25 seconds. One thing I failed to do while setting up for the time-lapse was to set the camera for manual exposure instead of automatic. As a result, once the sun set, the camera attempted to compensate for the decreased light, making the transition to darkness rather extended. Finally, the camera could no longer compensate for the decreased lighting and the video rapidly goes dark.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:32 pm

I like it!

Actually, I'm glad you left the camera in auto mode, as some nice evening lighting was caught. The colors might have been more vivid if you did go manual, though. But it was still a fun video.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.