Technical question?

Information, announcements and questions, comments or feedback about this site
deathvalleydan
Grubstaker

Technical question?

Post by deathvalleydan » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:33 am

How would one go about uploading and editing a .mov file? Nothing seems to open a .mov file outside of the quicktime/apple programs
Real freedom lies in wilderness, not civilization.
-Lindberg

Education is key to preservation. Knowledge is power.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:48 am

I think you can download Quicktime at their site. However, to edit a Quicktime movie you have to buy the full blown program.

Quicktime came with my Kodak camera, but it's only capable of viewing the videos you shoot with the camera, sort of like Quicktime Lite.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Older Fossil
Grubstaker

Re: Technical question?

Post by Older Fossil » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:36 am

deathvalleydan wrote:How would one go about uploading and editing a .mov file? Nothing seems to open a .mov file outside of the quicktime/apple programs
If you Google for "converting .mov files" you'll find ways of converting to one of the other common video formats. Some are shareware and others are more commercial. Look at "Allok MOV Converter 2.0.2" as an example.

Art

deathvalleydan
Grubstaker

Post by deathvalleydan » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:51 am

I can't find any free ones, just 50% conversion, and other gimmicks getting one to buy the product.

David - Yea, this is off a Kodak EZ share camera, go figure... :roll:
Real freedom lies in wilderness, not civilization.
-Lindberg

Education is key to preservation. Knowledge is power.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:36 am

deathvalleydan wrote:David - Yea, this is off a Kodak EZ share camera, go figure... :roll:
I didn't expect to use the video of my Kodak camera at first, but then would use it occasionally, especially for panorama shots. I was very dissappointed when I found that it was in Quicktime format and that the Windows Media couldn't run it, since WM has editing tools built into it. I would use the video more often on trips and then stitch the scenes together to form a single video if I could use WM, but I'm not about to buy the full blown QT program for that capability for what little video I shoot with the Kodak. On most trips I usually have my videocamera with me anyway.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

AndyR
Death Valley Resident

Post by AndyR » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:23 am

It may not be Quicktime, it may just be an MPEG-4 encoding. Sony uses that on their newer cameras and calls them .mov

Andy