How do you add 7.5 min series topo sections to comments?

Information, announcements and questions, comments or feedback about this site
Moly Man
Breyfogler

How do you add 7.5 min series topo sections to comments?

Post by Moly Man » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:55 pm

How would I go about including a topo map image along with my comment? I see that users interested in displaying digital photo images have to first have the images available on the web before they can be added to this forum. Would this also pertain to pasting 7.5 min series topo sections? Finally, would this be a copyright violation of most map software programs? Thanks

Bighorn

Re: How do you add 7.5 min series topo sections to comments?

Post by Bighorn » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:27 pm

Moly Man wrote:How would I go about including a topo map image along with my comment? I see that users interested in displaying digital photo images have to first have the images available on the web before they can be added to this forum. Would this also pertain to pasting 7.5 min series topo sections?

Yes
Moly Man wrote:Finally, would this be a copyright violation of most map software programs? Thanks
Depends. If the source is unaltered USGS topo maps (or NOAA in case of nautical charts), there's no copyright violations.

Some map makers like Delorme allow for personal and non-commercial reproduction.

National Geographic gives you right up to ten images as long as images are distributed freely and credit given with link to topo.com.

Tele Atlas reserves all rights, etc.

Best to consult "Terms of Use" of particular map/software maker.

Moly Man
Breyfogler

Post by Moly Man » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks Bighorn....since I'm not likely to get my own website anytime soon, looks like I'll just have to forego including a topo map for my latest trip report.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:52 pm

There's a lot of image sharing sites out there, flikr, picassa, etc, that people can use to post images. You just set up an account. I don't know details because I don't use them.

Moly Man
Breyfogler

Post by Moly Man » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:11 pm

MojaveGeek-that sounds like an expedient solution to my problem. Eventually, I'ld like to try designing my own webpage but until then, an image sharing site sounds like a good alternative.