NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days off and on starting 10/9 while some forum software modifications are made.

Some guidance maybe?

If you're not sure how stuff works, feel free to test it here
bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Some guidance maybe?

Post by bluegreen kayak » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:04 am

I've been trying to get a picture to show here in order to post a trip report, but without any luck. I am not very computer-savvy and don't have a lot of the equipment others have; for example, no smart phone to take pictures. I'm using a digital Lumix camera that stores pictures on an SD/HC card. I have tried multiple variations on copy/paste: directly, through a Word document, and from e-mail, but no results. Any suggestions? Thank you all for the great pictures and trip reports that I enjoy so much out here in Nebraska surrounded by snow.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Re: Some guidance maybe?

Post by TacoLand » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:42 am

Hey there, this message board doesn't support the direct uploading of photos into your message. What you have to do is upload the files somewhere online, like a photo storage service, and then you can copy & paste the photo link into your message.

I've never used it, but if you're already using Gmail or anything Google you can probably use their Photos service -- https://photos.google.com

Or if you're on a Mac there should be a way to save some of your photos you want to share to iCloud/Photos and use those links.

Hope that helps a bit!

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:28 am

Once you have your pictures somewhere on the internet, follow these instruction to get them into a post.

Type a [img], the link to your picture, and a [/img]

It will look like this

[img]https://www.pictures.com/mypicture.jpg[/img]

The actual link to your picture will be different than this example. I use Smugmug. It will tell you the URL of your picture. Other photo services may do the same. You may have to hover over the picture so the URL is displayed. Or click the picture so the URL is in the address bar so it can be copied.

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Post by bluegreen kayak » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:15 pm

Thank you both very much for the light at the end of the tunnel! I shall give this a try.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Yup, took me awhile to figure it out too

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Come back here if you can't make it work and we'll figure it out again.
Life begins in Death Valley

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Post by bluegreen kayak » Sat May 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Okay, my son walked me through this process using Flickr. This one previewed so we will try posting it. Thanks for all the help!

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat May 25, 2019 7:46 pm

Glad you figured out how to post your images. Is there a trip report posted as well?
Life begins in Death Valley

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Sun May 26, 2019 8:43 am

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:46 pm
Glad you figured out how to post your images. Is there a trip report posted as well?
I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by answering this...

There's an excellent trip report posted by bluegreen kayak on the Western Places forum,

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24628
bluegreen kayak wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Okay, my son walked me through this process using Flickr. This one previewed so we will try posting it. Thanks for all the help!
I'm now very curious if this photo is of a natural tunnel?
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

The "cave"

Post by bluegreen kayak » Mon May 27, 2019 1:29 pm

It's natural, but it's not deep, which is why I put cave in quotes. I'm not sure what to call it - it's something between and arch and a cave, maybe? Thank you for the encouragement on trip reports.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:01 pm

I agree, some of these natural features are difficult to classify!

If I recall correctly, to be an arch, it needs to be wind-carved, but to be a natural bridge it must be water carved. And then there are also natural tunnels, such as what Steve Hall calls Oriel Tunnel:

http://www.panamintcity.com/funeral/funeralslotmsc.html

I had no idea how to classify that one when I first saw it, but Steve is fairly certain it is a natural tunnel.

Whatever it is, the formation you photographed is very nice!
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:56 pm

Looks like the grill of a 1959 Edsel ... :dezdan:
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:03 pm

D.A. Wright wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:56 pm
Looks like the grill of a 1959 Edsel ... :dezdan:
:lol: