On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Mo water questions

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
John Morrow
Jayhawker

Mo water questions

Post by John Morrow » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:04 am

Doing some planning again. Would like to stitch a med distance backpack like our Cottonwood Canyon 8---Marble--Cottonwood---N Fk Lemoigne loop of last November. Due to my Honda Civic not planning to cache water. Judging from research slopes around Hunter Mountain seem to have mostly reliable springs.
Anyone been to the Dodds, Jackass, Hunter, Upper Marble, Shorty Harris, or looked at Grapevine below the Saline road to determine surface water?

To the far south, Ibex spring? Is Saratoga saline in content? Montgomery? Timpahpah?

My ideal trip will include some narrows, big open, routefinding, chance at rock art, summits.
Much appreciated. Will always share my finds when I visit.

John

CanyonmanClark
Jayhawker

Post by CanyonmanClark » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:33 am

Hey John, these are awesome but tough questions. One thing you could do is try the park hydrologist. He's a nice guy, here's his contact info.

Richard Friese
richard_friese@nps.gov (760) 786-3255

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:39 am

There is almost certainly some water at some of the springs on the north side of Hunter Mtn. There was a decent sized pot growing operation somewhere in the area that got busted some years ago, and they would have been irrigating. Not sure exactly where, but if you look at the sat images you can see where the vegetation is.

John Morrow
Jayhawker

Post by John Morrow » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:08 am

MojaveGeek wrote:There is almost certainly some water at some of the springs on the north side of Hunter Mtn. There was a decent sized pot growing operation somewhere in the area that got busted some years ago, and they would have been irrigating. Not sure exactly where, but if you look at the sat images you can see where the vegetation is.
CanyonmanClark wrote:Hey John, these are awesome but tough questions. One thing you could do is try the park hydrologist. He's a nice guy, here's his contact info.

Richard Friese
richard_friese@nps.gov (760) 786-3255
Thanks for the replies, and the contact info. If I go to any H2O sources I'll post the findings.
John

badtux
Breyfogler

Re: Mo water questions

Post by badtux » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:02 am

There is always water in Grapevine Canyon on Saline Valley Road. There is usually water in multiple places on Hunter Mountain too around Jackass Spring. One problem with some of the springs (but not those two) is that they're protected by really thick brush, if you keep going down Jackass Canyon after the Hunter Mountain road cuts away from it there's tons of water, but you'll have such thick brush that it'll be misery getting to it (and really no point, since going up the road gets you to that same water in Grapevine Canyon). Heading to the east a bit, Cottonwood Canyon has lots of water in it and it's accessible in multiple places. Goldbelt Spring *MAY* have water in it, but if so, it's buried under so much wildrose that you'll be shredded trying to get to it. Apparently Dead Horse Canyon has lots of water in it too, but I've never been there personally so I can't tell you about that.

Heading over to the Panamints, there's of course lots of water in Wildrose Canyon (there's faucets at the WIldrose campground), Jail Canyon, Surprise Canyon, Happy Canyon, Pleasant Canyon, and Goler Wash. On into Butte Valley there's lots of water at Greater View Spring and Anville Spring, also lots of water at Willow Spring but you may have to fight the burros and brush to get to it. Heading down Warm Springs Valley there's lots of water at Warm Springs Camp but the palatability of that water may be questionable (you won't die from drinking it, the Native Americans drank it for centuries without dying, but it may be rather bad tasting).

Lots more water out there, just tell us what area you're looking at.

CanyonmanClark
Jayhawker

Re: Mo water questions

Post by CanyonmanClark » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:36 pm

I can confirm Deadhorse. Usually a few large puddles and a shallow stream for about 100 yards. Consistent all winter and shoulder seasons. I wouldn't count on it in the summer.