On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Notice: There were some email issues discovered. If you registered but have not received your registration email and/or you attempted to change your password, please use the 'Contact Us' link here or at the bottom of every page and supply us with your details.

South Park loop road repairs in progress

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

South Park loop road repairs in progress

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Today, I dropped by the Ridgecrest BLM field office. And among other things, inquired about the status of the South Park Loop.

For anyone unaware, the road from Panamint Valley up to South Park has been partially closed for several years. Because a bridge on it had been deemed too weak to support full-size vehicles. ATVs and such were okay to cross it.

The repairs actually started October 23rd. And are scheduled to continue through December 8th. Though it could take a little longer. I was told they are rebuilding the road so that bridge is no longer needed. The contractors will also be shoring up the slope above the road to help prevent erosion and future washouts.

So, by some time next month, it should be possible to drive a full-size vehicle once again up the South Park Road. And thus to drive the entire South Park Pleasant Canyon Loop. :banana:

I was going to post this over at PanamintValley. Com, but that site appears to be down for some reason? :confused:

Older Fossil
Grubstaker

Re: South Park loop road repairs in progress

Post by Older Fossil » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 am

Does this mean that they are eliminating that narrow corner with the infamous "Chicken Rock"?

Art

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:20 am

Older Fossil wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 am
Does this mean that they are eliminating that narrow corner with the infamous "Chicken Rock"?

Art
I'm not sure about that. You can call them at 760-384-5400 and ask that specific question.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Not sure if this a good or bad thing. Having easier/more access might endanger the cherished points of interest, natural and manmade, in the area.

badtux
Breyfogler

Post by badtux » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:35 am

Yep, PanamintValley.com won't let people post right now for whatever reason. At least the information is still there.

Regarding the notion that eliminating Chicken Rock is "opening up the backcountry", the road above there is really, really rough. Plus the road up to the Briggs camp has become really rough too. Given that interest in general seems to have declined significantly since its peak ten years ago, I don't think there's going to be an issue here. I'll be up around Thanksgiving and I'll go take a look at what they're up to, especially interested in how they're going to get rid of that bridge... I don't think I have any photos of that area to know how they could do that (just spent 45 minutes looking through my old photos!).

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:06 am

I've got pics of that bridge and area. Seems it would be a lot of work to make the road so that the bridge is no longer needed.
Removing both the bridge and chicken rock would open it up a bit more. The people that do the research online find out about the accidents at chicken rock and the potential of the bridge to fail and those two things could dissuade some from attempting it. I agree the road up to Briggs definitely sucks.

lizbonez88
Jayhawker

Post by lizbonez88 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:25 pm

I was out at Ballarat for a night this past weekend. There is a sign up on the road heading into Pleasant stating the loop is closed until early December. There were a couple people who went up South Park and completed the loop - it appears the repairs were completed ahead of schedule.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:09 pm

lizbonez88 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:25 pm
I was out at Ballarat for a night this past weekend. There is a sign up on the road heading into Pleasant stating the loop is closed until early December. There were a couple people who went up South Park and completed the loop - it appears the repairs were completed ahead of schedule.
Were they in full-sized vehicles (e.g., Jeep, SUV, pick-up)? Or something smaller such as ATVs or dirt bikes? If the bridge is still in place, it might still be passable. As explained to me, once they are finished, the bridge will no longer be needed.

lizbonez88
Jayhawker

Post by lizbonez88 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:48 am

The person I talked to was driving an older 4x4 suburban, so not a small vehicle. They said they didn't have any issues.