Mountain Lions around?

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
kayaker77
Jayhawker

Mountain Lions around?

Post by kayaker77 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I love to solo hike and backpack in Death Valley in spring, as most of my friends are not hikers and I do love the solitude. Been doing it for the past 10 years. But my biggest fear is running into a mountain lion(s). I hiked this past February in Quail Canyon and saw a few bones near the semi dry stream beds and some cows in the general area, and some ticks but thankfully no big cats. Has anyone ever seen any in the park? If so, where and how did you react?

Thanks for any info!

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Mountain Lions around?

Post by D.A. Wright » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:54 pm

DVNP webpage. Scroll dow to near bottom.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/nature/mammals.htm

Lions like deer. Deer like the higher mountains with pinyon forests, though I’ve seen them in Eureka Valley and on the open Joshua forests north of Hunter Mountain. If you are hiking in elevations 5,000 feet and up, keep an eye open. However, cats tend to keep their distance and they see you long before you see them. They also tend to stay up high so they can scan their territory and dining choices. Keep an eye on rocky ridges and sometimes trees if the forest is open with widely scattered trees.

As to what to do/not do if you encounter one:

If you see a mountain lion:
Stay calm. Hold your ground or back away slowly. ...
Do not approach a lion. Never approach a mountain lion especially one that is feeding or with kittens. ...
Do not run from a lion. Running may stimulate a mountain lion's instinct to chase. ...
Do not crouch down or bend over.

Some sources say don’t make eye contact, some say to do so. Some sources say make a lot of noise while holding your ground.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Fortunately, I have never seen a mountain lion in DV, but I have seen evidence of them on many occasions.

There are two areas in particular I have seen a lot of evidence of mountain lions, and hence would advise hikers to be especially careful there.

The area between Navel Springs and Mummy Canyon. One of the drainages in this area has a huge pile of bones and horse-size scat (I refer to this drainage as "Mountain Lion Den Canyon" on my webpage).

The area between Moonlight Canyon and Red Wall Canyon. When hiking in this area, we have encountered many scattered bones, mountain lion scat, and two mutilated bighorn carcasses. In 2013, NPS staff found a fresh kill in Moonlight Canyon.

Also, as of 2015, there was a mountain lion in the Sugarloaf Peak area (see Steve Hall's report).
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

kayaker77
Jayhawker

Post by kayaker77 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Thank you, that is some great info! I appreciate that, especially since I'm allergic to cats, LOL. But seriously, that is good to know. Thank you. :smile:

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:06 pm

From the link:

"Surrounding mountains; occasional winter visitors to desert oasis."

Does "surrounding mountains" mean the mountains around DV itself? Or does it refer more to the higher ranges around the Park?

I've heard/read many times that they're around the Park. But, has a photo of a mountain lion ever been caught on any of the numerous wildlife cameras?

(For that matter, does DVNP ever publicize wildlife camera shots? Other agencies/units do.)

Desert National Wildlife Refuge recently shared on FB a great photo of a mountain lion at a guzzler on the refuge. This is at Perkin Spring (I've visited it before) in the Sheep Mountains:

ImageCapture by Candace66, on Flickr

N0 02
Breyfogler

Post by N0 02 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:41 pm

That is an interesting shot of the big cat. It must sense that something is there something watching its movements.

Thanks for sharing the photo.

kayaker77
Jayhawker

Post by kayaker77 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Wow - that is a really big cat!! Yeah, it does look like it's aware of being photographed/watched. Thank you for posting this, very interesting. Still really hoping never to be ambushed by one of these.

shane
Breyfogler

Post by shane » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 pm

I’ve seen them elsewhere in CA but have only seen tracks in DV. Personally, I’d love to encounter one in the desert but it seems extremely unlikely given how skittish the truly wild ones are. Hell, I haven’t even managed to see live Bighorns yet! Just bones, pellets and tracks.

kayaker77
Jayhawker

Post by kayaker77 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:02 pm

I saw a ton of bighorn sheep in Zion National Park last year. The biggest thing I've seen in Death Valley so far is coyotes, and they were really skittish.

Shane, where else in California have you seen mountain lions?

shane
Breyfogler

Post by shane » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Kayak, I've only seen them in oak woodland environments, in both Shasta & Solano counties.