Goler open all the way to DV?

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Rivergoat
Jayhawker

Goler open all the way to DV?

Post by Rivergoat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:03 am

Planning a Nov trip; wanting to run Goler from the PV side over Mengel, down into DV. I see some reports about West Side road closures. Any info if the trail is open all the way through? My rig is well built, and has made that journey a number of times....

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Re: Goler open all the way to DV?

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:56 pm

If work stays out of the way I'll let ya know on 11-4

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Road conditions information on the official Park website and FB pages:

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRoadConditions/

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Starting by cutting thru the Slate Range. That section was same as always not much changed. Headed up Goler and the rock ledge there in the beginning is very mellow maybe 2 wheel drive mellow. Mengel Pass is a little chewed up on both sides but there are a few lines to use. Now for a beef about things. The burro capture team has homestead Geologist Cabin and have pens set up damn near on top of the spring. That and the amount of burro crap is sad. They have also homesteaded Warm Springs. My major complaint is they are keeping native critters from access to the water. So moving along headed down the canyon then bumped over to Hanauph Canyon to call it a day. That road is still a mess. We did notice someone had a trail camera set up about a 1/2 mile up the road. Next day moved further up West Road again then thru Badwater to Harry Wade Road. Guess what. There at the intersection there was a bunch of folks with horses,mules, burrows and Calistoga Wagons making a mess of the area. Harry's road itself is in pretty good shape, a little washboard here and there. Weather was perfect.

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Post by kwalsh » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:59 am

Hanaupa Canyon had a grow operation going in it earlier in the year. Might be a NPS cam monitoring the road.

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:25 pm

That's what we had figured. I have to tell ya it does seem like an odd place to grow the stuff. They also had lots of signs warning not to drink the water because of of criminal activity.