Indian Pass

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Wayne
Jayhawker

Indian Pass

Post by Wayne » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:41 pm

There is such excellent information on Indian Pass on the internet. Take a look and you will be more than ready to backpack this area of Death Valley. We just completed a 2 night trip starting December 5, 2019. There was some rain so there is all sorts of water collected in rock pools. We went to Poison Spring and plenty of water. You will really have a fun time on this trip.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Re: Indian Pass

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:29 pm

Wayne wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:41 pm
You will really have a fun time on this trip.
Okay, now stop teasing and reveal your images and trip report asap! Agreed that Indian Pass is so well worth the effort.
Life begins in Death Valley

Wayne
Jayhawker

Post by Wayne » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:48 pm

I went out to Poison Spring. It is my impression that eventually the canyon ends in a huge dry fall? I am looking at my map and it shows an old dirt road at the end? Without starting all the way on the other side, is there anyway to end up on that road?

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:16 pm

This area is covered in Digonnet's guidebook. You can drive to the Indian pass area via a bumpy dirt road from Highway 95 in Nevada. That's what I did.

When you get to the end of the road, you can locate the top of an old trail that makes its way down to a couple of mine shafts. The last time I was there, a few years ago, this Trail was well marked with white paint splotches.

When you're on your way down that trail, keep an eye out.
You will see a spot where you can leave the trail and go down a fairly easy ridge toward a fork in the canyon.

(You can continue on the trail to visit the mines if you want. But I don't recommend descending directly from there down the talus slope to the wash below.)

Once you get down the ridge, you'll be on a flattish area in the "V" of the fork and above the washes on either side of you. There are some ruins and artifacts there.

From there, you can drop down into the wash. You can go upstream and find the plunge pool that Digonnet describes. And you can go downstream and visit the various Springs and pools.

Using this approach, you can visit all the highlights mentioned by Digonnet in a reasonable day hike from the end of that road.

Wayne
Jayhawker

Post by Wayne » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:15 am

Outstanding. Thanks. I now have been in the park 3 times and really do enjoy finding new and interesting places.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:22 am

Wayne wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:15 am
Outstanding. Thanks.
Candace_66 provides the best advice from which I have personally benefitted from on multiple occasions leading me to many wonderful discoveries within Death Valley National Park.
Life begins in Death Valley

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:06 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:22 am
Wayne wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:15 am
Outstanding. Thanks.
Candace_66 provides the best advice from which I have personally benefitted from on multiple occasions leading me to many wonderful discoveries within Death Valley National Park.
:oops: You're flattering me! Glad I could be of assistance. :cool:

ski3pin
Jayhawker

Post by ski3pin » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:52 am

Here is a look at the entire length of Indian Pass Canyon that you may enjoy -

http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/2018/04/dea ... -2018.html
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:09 pm

Candace, how would you describe that road in from 95? Rough but sedan, HC, or 4WD? Thanks!

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:30 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:09 pm
Candace, how would you describe that road in from 95? Rough but sedan, HC, or 4WD? Thanks!
It has been a few years since I've been out there. But here's how I remember it.

I wouldn't expect a sedan to make it. HC would be a must. Perhaps you could make it without 4WD or AWD, but your best bet would be to have it.

I doubt that road gets any maintenance, especially the section on BLM land between 95 and the Park boundary. So it could be more damaged now.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:14 pm

Thanks! I'll probably consider hiking in from the other side then.