Pronghorn antelope sightings in/near DV

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Pronghorn antelope sightings in/near DV

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:17 pm

While reading the latest Death Valley Natural History Association email, I came across the following link:

https://www.latimes.com/environment/sto ... dium=email
More than a century after railroads, ranchers and hunters vanquished their ancestors, pronghorn antelope are returning to this unforgiving expanse of desert along the California-Nevada border.

A photo of a lone male and a harem of five does shared on Death Valley’s Facebook page in late April was only the latest indication that the American pronghorn, North America’s land speed champion, may be extending its migratory range into the Mojave Desert once again from cooler seas of sage nearly 100 miles to the north and east...

Recently, a group of biologists spent the morning photographing a doe that was guarding a newly born fawn in a patch of desert scrub just east of the park’s northern boundary near the town of Beatty, Nev...
If the pronghorns were to establish a population, I wonder what effect it might have on the bighorns?

Daw89446
Jayhawker

Re: Pronghorn antelope sightings in/near DV

Post by Daw89446 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:54 pm

Don’t have an answer. But my first thought is that if they can put up with feral burros, I’d think antelope would be more compatible. That, and I don’t think antelope would prefer the topography that bighorns do. There’s also quite a large population of bighorn in the Hawthorne area, within antelope territory.

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:38 am

Don’t have an answer. But my first thought is that if they once before in a land a long time ago coexisted, they should be able to do it again.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Whenever I've seen antelope, they have been in fairly open country, which makes sense as their main defense is probably to see the predators approaching, and run away. Many of the sheep I've seen have been in rocky places where I could not get to myself, though they obviously venture down from these from time to time as I've also seen them in canyon bottoms. I would suspect the main impact would be competition for water resources? But as mentioned above, burros are probably of greater concern there. Interesting question though.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Pronghorns like the flats, sheep like the rocks. It's very exciting to see them in the park!
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Not DVNP, but... I recently visited the east side of the White Mountains. I saw a single antelope on the open sagebrush flats while driving up the road along Indian Creek. Then two days later, I saw a pair of them, again on the flats, while driving down Trail Canyon Road.

Here's a low-quality shot of the two in lower Trail Canyon:

ImageP6290418a by Candace66, on Flickr

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 pm

Nice

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:20 pm

And, I saw some more antelope near DVNP. This time, while driving down the Wiley Road to Gold Point. First I saw a pair to the west of the road, but they were making a mad dash away from me. A little farther down the road I saw a female with a juvenile, both on the east side of the road. Here's a pic of them, sorry it's a bit fuzzy:

ImageP7170242a by Candace66, on Flickr

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:44 pm

Nice pix.