Camping Recommendation

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
dmartin12358
Jayhawker

Camping Recommendation

Post by dmartin12358 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi,

My gf and I (and maybe one of my kids) will be heading to DV to camp.
Probably early March 08 but maybe early April 08 (looking for that new moon). Really looking forward to sleeping under the stars.

I'd appreciate some guidance:

1) what established campgrounds would you recommend?
2) what backcountry campground would you recommend?

Thanks!!!

Dave
Jayhawker

Post by Dave » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:31 pm

Going at that time the campgrounds should be fairly open. I think Furnace Creek stops taking reservations around April 15.If you want to be near the Visitors center with the Ranger programs, swimming at the Warm spring pool etc then Furnace creek or Texas Spring.I like Mesquite Spring campground as well. Will be cooler up there and you are close to Scottys Castle and other natural attractions at that end of the Valley.It Kind of depends on what you want to see and how much time you plan on seeing it.Depending on your Vehicle (4x4 recommended) the canyons off West Side Road are nice.Go up for 2miles and pick a spot to camp on the wash/alluvial fan.Trail Canyon is nice because it is relatively close to furnace ck but you feel like your "out there".Again,there are many others but it depends on what you have in mind to see and do.I may be able to give you more ideas if you have an idea of itinerary.As always, check weather and road conditions before going. -Dave
Nature is indifferent to our love, but never unfaithful. ~Ed Abbey

dmartin12358
Jayhawker

Post by dmartin12358 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:01 pm

Thanks, Dave. We were just in DV for the New Years, stayed in Shoshone and Tecopa Hot Springs and Furnace Creek (all indoors, unfortunately), and now want to be outside.

The itinerary is flexible. We've seen most of the usual sites. I'm a bit familiar with the Racetrack area and most of the major canyons and sights that are accessible by car, though have not been to any of the smaller canyons or other remote sites.

Mainly interested in a nice quiet area to camp to see the stars at night and that has some interesting hiking not too far away. We'll rent a 4wd if necessary. If March, maybe a lower elevation would be warmer at night. Would also like a site that is not too windy, if possible (so probably not on the rim of Ubehebe crater <grin>). It'll be one or two nights max.

So any other suggestions on canyons... are appreciated.

Maybe Trail Canyon or Mesquite/Texas Spring campgrounds would be a good start???

greatbasinguide
Grubstaker

Post by greatbasinguide » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:33 pm

A great place to camp is the Inyo Mine, you can wander around and see the stuff, and you can go into the mine.

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:03 pm

Panamint Springs Resort, while on the west side of the park, is substantially quieter if you looking for established campgrounds. Because it is the only source of power in the northern Panamint Valley, you can see the stars very well by walking 100 feet from the campground.

For the north side of Death Valley, Mesquite Springs is a very good choice.

I would also second the idea of Echo Canyon, espically if you get up past the narrows.

David Bricker / SYR