Panamint Hilton Work

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:43 pm

D.A. Wright wrote:And a judge - at the behest of a certain "environmental" group, has taken away the right of the property owners to access their land. :evil:
IIRC Hector didn't want to hand over the keys.

Three days before the gate went up.

RoguePhotonic
Jayhawker

Post by RoguePhotonic » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:11 pm

That's a bunch of crap that you would not be allowed to access your property. None of the road way is considered protected wilderness.

You could fight it in court but i'm sure people would argue your personal need to access your property verses the need to protect the land that you own from yourself.

Any illusions of private property rights in today's America is just that. An illusion.

Despite that it's pretty cool that it's private property. I guess if you made who ever owns it a good enough offer you could actually own the city.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:28 pm

The group of property owners tried to invoke the RS2477 laws that allow access to your own property (law for well over a century) some years ago, but the judge still closed off the road due to pressure from the Center for BioDiversity.

A good overview page about the lawsuit: http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... on-lawsuit
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

geonuc
Jayhawker

Post by geonuc » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 am

I read the opinion in that case. I don't see this as property owners asserting rights to their own land. The judge stated that the plaintiffs brought no claim to title to the land; rather they wanted right-of-way access.

"Plaintiffs do not assert that they have an interest in the title to Surprise Canyon Road. Rather, they argue that as members of the public, they have a right to use the route."

Also, RS 2477 was repealed in 1976, with existing rights-of-way retained.

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:41 pm

My Brother and I went up last weekend and cleaned up a majority of the items "chucked" off the front porch of the Hilton.

The twin mattresses were moved to the compound where they are at least out of the rain. (one is still good) The foam pads were returned to the cabin where they can continue to be used by guests. A tip for using old mattresses that I've been using for years; Bring a sheet. I use a king size sheet that I call my "bed condom" I throw it down before placing my sleeping bag down.

The pots and pans where returned to the kitchen so that they too can continue to be used. (I've used them countless times over the last 15 years. I found this amazing stuff at the store that makes all the dishes useable. It's called dish soap.)

I'm afraid even a great soap would not fix the (now) broken plates that where scattered throughout the area surrounding the cabin.

The (few) remaining cabinet doors were stacked on the side of the cabin.

As requested by certain people...

*No buildings were harmed in the writing of this post.*

B-spec
Death Valley Resident

Post by B-spec » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Thank you very much for cleaning up that mess. Some people have no clue how to take care of back country cabins.

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:19 pm

Thank you, Charlie. Your efforts in cleaning up the mess are truly commendable. It's a shame that you had to fly out from across the country to deal with this situation.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:12 am

Good job, man! Appreciated by many future visitors too!

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:31 pm

Interesting pics. Not sure I understand the thought process that went into creating that mess!? How did that address the problem of rodents getting into the building?

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Is the Castle generally a better place to stay?
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

RoguePhotonic
Jayhawker

Post by RoguePhotonic » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 am

Thanks for doing all that work. I would have done it myself on a return trip but I am not sure when I will get back again.

Both the foam pads and the pots and pans I just couldn't imagine that anyone would ever use them. I know they can be cleaned but most backpackers are already set up for cooking or in my case I go to the hilton with only foil to place over the stove and cook on that.

badtux
Breyfogler

Post by badtux » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 am

Lack of imagination is no excuse for throwing out things that people use.

B-spec
Death Valley Resident

Post by B-spec » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:54 am

RoguePhotonic wrote:Thanks for doing all that work. I would have done it myself on a return trip but I am not sure when I will get back again.

Both the foam pads and the pots and pans I just couldn't imagine that anyone would ever use them. I know they can be cleaned but most backpackers are already set up for cooking or in my case I go to the hilton with only foil to place over the stove and cook on that.
You do not go into a camp or a cabin and start chucking stuff out the window that YOU think is not useful. That is not how it works in the back country and it is NOT proper cabin etiquette. Please do NOT go around to back country cabins and start "Cleaning" them up. You caused more destruction to the Hilton in one trip then it has seen in the past 3 years combined.

RoguePhotonic
Jayhawker

Post by RoguePhotonic » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Well we will agree to disagree on what should be done with the Hilton. Other then chucking the stuff into plain sight I don't regret any of the changes I made. And I still maintain that they were necessary even if they were being used by anyone.

All I have to say is next time I propose radical changes speak up! If someone had said they used the pots I would have left one or two in there.

badtux
Breyfogler

Post by badtux » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Excuse me, but I did speak up. I said that the hole used by the packrat needed to be sealed up and the semi-destroyed mattress removed from the Hilton but that's all the Hilton needed. You took it on yourself do do far more than anybody even conceived you'd do. Burning cabinet doors? For realz? Sheesh!