Panamint Hilton Work

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
B-spec
Death Valley Resident

Post by B-spec » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm

RoguePhotonic wrote: If someone had said they used the pots I would have left one or two in there.
Oh how nice of you.

This says it all right here.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:22 pm

Removing the non functional parts of the cabin takes away from their charm and appeal! If all you had was a cabin with a bed and a stove I might visit it once but certainly wouldn't spend time there and cherish it. What you have done is removed the part of the cabin that appeals to people, the neat aspect of it that it still contains all the aspects of home away on home in your favorite place. Now it is a utilitarian shell with a dismantled kitchen with junk outside it.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Kukulcan
Jayhawker

Post by Kukulcan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 pm

So explain making a pile of trash out side the cabin again please? I've seen the mess in the pictures.
Much care you have put into the P-city over the years; Charlie thanks for cleaning it up. And for your years of service to Panamint City and Valley.

RoguePhotonic
Jayhawker

Post by RoguePhotonic » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:56 am

I remember the bit about foam badtux but I disagreed that it would be enough to serve the purpose necessary.

I agree that removing these sorts of things do take away from the charm but it cannot be helped in my opinion. The kitchen may not look like it but it's in bad shape. Without some reinforcement of the counters now they may collapse in another decade. I moved the empty liquor bottles down from the top shelf for the same reason. The top of the cabinets are collapsing.

The problem is just that this place is now in the backcountry. If it was the front country more could be done to protect the place in a simple way.

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:29 pm

Sorry for the goofy looking photos. I had to use my GoPro. My regular camera decided it's battery no longer wants to hold a charge and the spare batt is hanging out somewhere with Jimmy Hoffa.
SteveH wrote:...It's a shame that you had to fly out from across the country to deal with this situation.
No way dude! I'll stick to driving my 4x4. It's only 24 hours behind the wheel (each way), 14 tanks of gas (round trip), and lots of Purdy scenery. :cool:

I said that the hole used by the packrat needed to be sealed up
This^

I also don't see the logic of gutting the place of anything useful but not removing a single mouse nest.

I wanna know who changed the door knob on the front door. I would have given out more keys if someone wanted one. ;-)

Don't give me credit for anything that gets done up there these days, My second snapped ACL kept me down for a long time and now that I've moved 1300 miles away, I find myself out that way even less.

My respect goes out to those who still head up there and do what they can to keep the city running. I think P&L may still be doing work on the Castle. Thomas M is the only guy crazy enough to hike a huge load of gear up there only to make a list of more needed items and proceed to head back down and make a run to Ridgecrest and like a half dead zombie, drag that second load back up the canyon. Justin from PBB has done his share of work. There are many in the shadows who keep these places together.

But honestly, It really breaks my heart to see the condition of the city these days. 15 years ago, When I started hiking up there every six weeks or so, the place had charm, was clean, and well cared for. Most of the visitors had given back more than they took from the place. All that was needed was simple housekeeping

Now, (to me) it appears that many write in the trail register about how pristine the area is now that the road is closed to vehicles. They then proceed to hike up to the city and leave their trash, wine bottles, cut green trees down for firewood, or tear down the cabins to burn, and take crap's everywhere except in the outhouse.

Maybe I'm just waxing nostalgic. PC's always been a special place to me. My spiritual Shangri-la. A place where I could go to and spend a whole weekend doing nothing but swing in a hammock on the Hilton front porch and never see a soul. My wife didn't understand it until I dragged her up there for her first time a few years back.

I've always enjoyed meeting people up there too. I've spent hours on the porch shooting the bull with everyone from an East Coast Astrophysicist and his Old Marine buddy whom had the biggest bag of weed that I've ever seen, Jeepers with gas powered blenders whipping out all you can drink margarita's, Two really cool gay guys who looked at me funny when I invited them to share the cabin with me, A washed up drug runner who spent over two hours telling me and my buddies how to get away with running loads into Florida. We talked that cat into letting us make him dinner and staying the night with us, but he grabbed his stuff and lit-out when I took off my jacket and he saw the Vegas Metro PD shirt I was wearing. Great times for sure. Even when I shared the Hilton with those snoring Mercy Air medics. I got all kinds of Boyscout stories and I didn't even mention the girls, ghosts, or gunfire. I'll save those for another day.

Anyways, It appears that I've digressed in the first degree.

Who's up for a work party?

Happy Trails

Panamint Valley Message Board

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:33 am

Until the rise of this thread, I never cared much about PC. It was always near the top of my backpack trip list, but now I just want to spend a few days up the and work on things. I see how vulnerable the place is now. People don't care for it every weekend anymore. It gets a few visitors a month, and if one person neglects any part of this fragile place, it will require weeks of work to put it back in a state of arrested decay, and I fear it is only a matter of time before it sinks to a point of no return. I wish it was possible for me or anyone to go up regularly and do something every weekend so it may return to its former glory. Unfortunately few are willing to haul supplies 5 miles through water and up steep canyons to a remote area of the desert.
Last edited by Gowergulch42 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

RoguePhotonic
Jayhawker

Post by RoguePhotonic » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:01 pm

I also don't see the logic of gutting the place of anything useful but not removing a single mouse nest.
This is because I wasn't equipped. I had meant to bring my respirator so I could clear all that mess out of the kitchen but I forgot it.

Last time I only brought screw drivers. Next time i'll bring a drill and see if I can reinforce the counters. A couple braces under them should stop the whole mess from tilting like it does.

stan
Jayhawker

Post by stan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:13 pm

Hey, thanks for tearing up the place for the rest of us.......

RoguePhotonic
Jayhawker

Post by RoguePhotonic » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:08 am

I know I know we should live by the philosophy of ride it until the wheels fall off. But I just can't.

Original Bigfoot
Breyfogler

Post by Original Bigfoot » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:12 am

Look, I know you mean well, and think you are helping by taking out everything you don't think anyone would use, but you aren't. If you were doing this to a cabin inside a national park, or even on BLM land, you'd be committing a Federal crime. As it is, doing this to private property, you are committing the crime of vandalism. The whole idea behind cabins that are informally open for public use is just like everything else in the backcountry: "TREAD LIGHTLY", and leave the place better for the next people by cleaning up, fixing things that are broken, and getting rid of some trash other people left, but structural changes are a definite no-no. If most anyone from this board had caught you doing what you did, there would have been a confrontation for sure, and someone might have gotten hurt or gone to jail, or both. It's massive structural changes like you did, or the messes left behind, that cause owners to lock up their places, or burn them down. And on public land, the changes you made are excuses for the government to "remove" (burn, bulldoze) the cabin. Trying to turn the place into YOUR idea of a "hiking hut" is NOT what it's all about. And then leaving the pile behind for the next people to see or take care of? Bad form! The existence of these cabins, and their public use, is a VERY fragile thing, whether they are on private or public land. We are losing at least one every couple years or so to vandalism, accidental fires, intentional fires, or destruction contracted by the government. No one is rebuilding any of them. Once they are gone, they are gone. There are people looking for ANY reason to call attention to some problem as an excuse to get rid of these places. PLEASE don't contribute to their destruction or closure.

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:48 pm

I know the park was investigating the vandalism that took place in this case and considering filing charges. They did send someone up to document the vandalism and put it on record. I'm not sure if anything ever came of it, though.

RustyDusty
Jayhawker

Post by RustyDusty » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:32 am

New to the forum here. I just stumbled upon this thread and it got me mad. I was up at the Panamint Hilton in early Feb 2013 and this guy really trashed the place. He threw perfectly good stuff all over outside and left every single mouse nest in place. Lemurs? WTF? There were perfectly good utensils, can openers, spoons pans, dishes SCATTERED all over the place outside. Door left open. Green pine branches inside and outside. I spent some time heating water and used up all my soap starting to clean up the mess he made. A huge thanks to everyone else who does their best to keep these vandals in check.

RoguePhotonic
Jayhawker

Post by RoguePhotonic » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:57 pm

My only trashing of the place was the poor placement of the items on the side of the building. I should have moved them somewhere like where the fridge and stove now are. But I did not trash anything in the building or leave branches like you say. I spent allot of time cleaning down every surface in the place which was covered in more rat crap than I have ever seen in the place before. I also always shut the door when I come and go.

As for lemurs I certainly did not start that term but I find It comical.