NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/17 while some forum software modifications are made.

Thanks for divulging site info. Kwalsh Much Appreciated

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
JoshuaTreeDude
Jayhawker

Thanks for divulging site info. Kwalsh Much Appreciated

Post by JoshuaTreeDude » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:07 am

Deleted it for those who have the need for common sense and matters. ;-).
Last edited by JoshuaTreeDude on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kukulcan
Jayhawker

Post by Kukulcan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:49 pm

Your going to create a tragedy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0vmP7HoFI4

JoshuaTreeDude
Jayhawker

Post by JoshuaTreeDude » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:55 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by JoshuaTreeDude on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoshuaTreeDude
Jayhawker

Post by JoshuaTreeDude » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:34 pm

:?:
Last edited by JoshuaTreeDude on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Post by kwalsh » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:25 pm

The issue is not common tourists. The issue is people steal the panels to sell on the black market. The reality is people who have been visiting and studying these sites all their lives and care for their continued existence for future generations have determined the best practice is to not publicly disclose their exact locations. I'll put my trust in their years of on the ground experience over your idealized beliefs.

If you are really interested in these places you can take the time to find them on your own. And since you weren't the one to discover the site I'd leave disclosing its exact location to the original discoverers. I honestly have to say learning about the site from someone else and then publishing its location without any consideration to their concerns and wishes is extremely rude and thoughtless. Have some manners and common sense.

JoshuaTreeDude
Jayhawker

Post by JoshuaTreeDude » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:37 am

kwalsh wrote:The issue is not common tourists. The issue is people steal the panels to sell on the black market. The reality is people who have been visiting and studying these sites all their lives and care for their continued existence for future generations have determined the best practice is to not publicly disclose their exact locations. I'll put my trust in their years of on the ground experience over your idealized beliefs.

If you are really interested in these places you can take the time to find them on your own. And since you weren't the one to discover the site I'd leave disclosing its exact location to the original discoverers. I honestly have to say learning about the site from someone else and then publishing its location without any consideration to their concerns and wishes is extremely rude and thoughtless. Have some manners and common sense.
I'm sure I am not the only one who needs common sense and matters. Just look in the mirror and you will see someone else who needs it too.

donutnational
Jayhawker

Post by donutnational » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:11 am

I totally agree with not publishing locations of some areas, but I don't think the tragedy of the commons really applies to national parks. I like publicly owned wilderness as much as I hate vandals and thieves. The goal of publicly owned wilderness should be to preserve and protect natural areas while the goal of a private company is to make money. Making money and protecting the natural environment don't go well together as evidenced by places like Norris Basin in Yellowstone and Yosemite Valley. These areas have been run to make money for both the NPS and the concessionaires. If you like what you see there ( and want even more development) then you would probably like fully private National Parks.

JoshuaTreeDude
Jayhawker

Post by JoshuaTreeDude » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:40 am

Agree with you donutnational about National Parks. Also about site specifics I will not make a bigger mess and give out more specifics. I have been blessed with the knowledge of very many so called "hidden sites" that I could post that are really not well known and would love to share, but I see that it gets people in a not so friendly attitude. I know DeathValley Jim knows plenty of sites, but has not ventured out in the desert to sites like the FoxTrot Site on the 29 Palms base. I think the FoxTrot site is better then Terese anyway. Thanks to everyone for their postings and insight. I have enjoyed the write-ups and silliness of it all.

donutnational
Jayhawker

Post by donutnational » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:58 am

Joshua Tree Dude, I hope you freely share your knowledge of awesome sites with your friends (I'm guessing you would not be friends with people who would deface or loot such sights). Hopefully we'll meet in the desert someday and you'll trust me enough to show me something cool.

JoshuaTreeDude
Jayhawker

Post by JoshuaTreeDude » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Sure Donutnational see how things go. I really enjoy sharing what I know with trusted friends and leading hikes into some amazing places. California Sites will have to be put on hold for awhile. I'll be doing work in El-Paso Texas for some time. Looking forward to seeing rock art sites in Hueco Tanks and The Guadalupe Mountains. Going to be interesting to see how different they are from what I have seen in SoCal. Take care.

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Post by kwalsh » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:28 pm

Telling your friends, taking them there and sharing locations by PM or email to people you know or have developed some trust with is exactly the right way to share your knowledge and excitement of these special places.

Publicly posting coordinates on something Google crawls at least once a day not what most people who love and strive to protect these sites would appreciate.

Sorry if I offended, and thanks for deleting site coordinates.

Kukulcan
Jayhawker

Post by Kukulcan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:49 am

13° 9' 23" S and 72° 32' 34" W. Here is a site that I hope people don't get too upset at me.

JoshuaTreeDude
Jayhawker

Post by JoshuaTreeDude » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:39 am

Nice coordinates to the area around Machu Picchu. Dream site for sure to visit. Must be nice to have the money to spare and go around to see places like that. I'll just be content with what I am capable of seeing here along the western part of the US. Maybe someday I can get out that way either by my own means or the kindness of a stranger.