some of the worst people on earth have visited the racetrack

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:35 pm

The photos in that blog post are pretty grim.

kurt765
Jayhawker

Post by kurt765 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:58 pm

netllama wrote:The author of the original photographs from twitter, posted a blog with more background & additional photos of the vandalism:
http://blog.kurtlawson.com/?p=1504
Oh hey that's me. I didn't see this one here in the Backcountry section. Yeah, the photos are pretty grim :(

While I was able to do the specific photos I came to the Racetrack to do, a bunch of other ideas I had were obliterated by the tracks, like around the Grandstand. My Facebook feed has been overwhelmed with sad faces and angry faces today. It all sucks really. Normally, I'd like to post photos that make people click "Like"

Wingman
Jayhawker

Post by Wingman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks, Kurt for drawing public attention to this situation. It's really sad, but the more awareness of this among the public the better. There is also a large and growing issue with people driving out into the salt flats south of Badwater. One problem is that a single set of tracks anywhere gives others the idea that this can be done, and that nobody cares. Copycat behavior is rampant everywhere in the desert...

Neal

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:31 pm

One of these days I hope someone driving onto the playa gets hopelessly stuck and a DVNP ranger finds him. Fines, penalties and the Miller Towing extraction bill should help stop at least one.

Lots of negative publicity online might aid in changing the mind of some who might dare and are still contemplating.

Everyone carries a cell phone with camera and video capability. That presented to law enforcement at Furnace Creek might help, especially if license plates can be seen. And for those stupid enough to video and post their own motorized conquests on our public lands, then it is hoped that their own stupidity catches up to them and they pay the price.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:27 am

Taken from another forum discussing this sad topic:

"The Racetrack is a famous feature of Death Valley National Park. People want to see it. Local communities demand that it stay open to bring in the tourist dollars. The solution at the Racetrack will be to bring in more public with management. The road will be paved. There will be designated parking places and only that number will be allowed on the road at one time. No one can be on the Racetrack at night expect on those few nights a year when a ranger leads a night tour. A separate fee will be charged to walk out on the playa. The park concessionaire will operate a bus tour. An example of this style of management can be seen with Red Meadows Road in the Mammoth Lakes area in the eastern Sierra."

This would be terrible but I can imagine it happening. Some wonderful evenings have been spent camped at Homestake.

A boulder border blocking the most accessible entries to the playa and a camera at the north and south entries along the road with one more camera high up somewhere to survey the entire playa. That would be three cameras, only two of which would need to be high quality to capture license plates in and out. Invasion of privacy? Maybe. But this is a National Park and rules change when one chooses to enter. The cost would be a better way to spend money instead of paving a road that doesn't need to be paved and having shuttles and limited access.

I've been in remote areas in and around DVNP and have found weather stations which probably have similar costs associated with installation and upkeep. One of which I drove by numerous times and never noticed it out in the wilds.

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:44 pm

You can refer to page 13 of the report below for the plans for the Racetrack. It also discusses plans to prevent vehicle trespass.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/manageme ... e-2014.pdf

shane
Breyfogler

Post by shane » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:13 pm

ive avoided the racetrack since i visited the area in 2012 and saw lots of people on the road driving crazy fast. it felt way too touristy. we found plenty of vehicle tracks on the playa that day too but nothing like the OP saw. all the more reason to focus on backpacking in the more remote areas

anderld47
Grubstaker

Post by anderld47 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:06 pm

They may have a lead on the idiots. Mentions it at the end of the article.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/0 ... th-valley/

gedstrom
Grubstaker

Post by gedstrom » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:58 am

Investigators think they know who tore up Death Valley's fragile Racetrack Playa in an SUV

http://www.latimes.com/local/california ... story.html

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:19 am

gedstrom wrote:Investigators think they know who tore up Death Valley's fragile Racetrack Playa in an SUV

That article also states: "...huge panes of ice pushed by light winds episodically sail into rocks..."
Thought the winds have to be quite strong in order to move the ice. I also recall reading that scientists believe the rocks to be embedded within the ice sheets.

gedstrom
Grubstaker

Post by gedstrom » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:59 pm

gedstrom wrote:Investigators think they know who tore up Death Valley's fragile Racetrack Playa in an SUV

What do you want to bet that they were drunk when they did it?

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:16 pm

gedstrom wrote:

What do you want to bet that they were drunk when they did it?
I think you're giving them too much credit. Probably stupid and sober.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:05 pm

If anyone wants to drive wily-nily all over a playa, they can go to the Black Rock Desert.

If anyone wants to drive wily-nily all over a salt flat, they can go to Bonneville.

SMH at these idiots. Hope the authorities nab those responsible. I wonder why it has become so popular to drive on the Racetrack anyway?

netllama
Death Valley Resident

Post by netllama » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:52 am

Candace_66 wrote:If anyone wants to drive wily-nily all over a playa, they can go to the Black Rock Desert.

If anyone wants to drive wily-nily all over a salt flat, they can go to Bonneville.

SMH at these idiots. Hope the authorities nab those responsible. I wonder why it has become so popular to drive on the Racetrack anyway?
The Racetrack is arguably the most famous playa in North America, and in many ways, its far more accessible than the Black Rock & Bonneville (which are way further from a major urban area).