Eureka Dunes Photography Trip

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
chugchug
Jayhawker

Eureka Dunes Photography Trip

Post by chugchug » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:24 pm

I want to take my travel trailer to Eureka Dunes Dry Camp. It is a 19ft trailer with high clearance axle setup. The truck is 4x4 F150. My goal is to spend several days doing photography on the dunes every sunrise and sunset and hike during the rest of the daytime. I have a few questions
1) Is it reasonable to take a travel trailer on South Eureka Road section from Big Pine to the dry camp?
2) Are there any good short day hikes in the area?
3) Any suggestions for other dunes that can be photographs. I have been to Mesquite Dunes and there are too many people there.
3) Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

Chugchug

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Re: Eureka Dunes Photography Trip

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:40 am

1. The dirt roads you would be driving over are usually wash boarded but otherwise in pretty good shape.

2 and 3. If you don't already have it, grab a copy of Michel Digonnet's book "Hiking Western Death Valley National Park." He describes some day hikes in the area. I highly recommend his hike to the Up and Down mine.

And yes, there are some other dunes in the Eureka Valley, usually called the Hidden Dunes . He includes a description for those.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:52 am

BTW, here is a picture showing the Hidden Dunes with the Eureka Dunes in the background.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:42 am

The road in from Big Pine is paved to the bottom of Eureka Valley. The rest is maintained dirt. However, as mentioned, is often washboarded. South Eureka Road is also a bit rocky in spots.

In winter and spring months, snow can also be a factor. The county will plow the road, but it might be two or more days after larger storms before they will get to it, as they focus on higher priority roads.

In winter and spring there is nearly always pesent a road closed street barricade, one on those small folding kinds. The road may or may not be closed. Generally it means that you are travelling at your own risk.

Keep an eye out for rocks and gravel on the pavement. Sometimes missing pavement.

Around late March and early April the county will be grading the roads in Eureka Valley. That will make for smoother travel for your peace of mind, if you are willing to wait that long.

However, after the roads are graded, watch out for unidentified flying objects. They are the city people who come out here to be impatient and travel over the freshly graded roads up to and over 75 mph in a cloud of dust and flying gravel, which is hazardous to the health of your windshield, headlights and front end paint. I know from experience - Numerous windshield chips, two windshield replacements, one headlight assembly and one signal light assembly. :evil:
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:21 am

Absolutely do not miss the Hidden Dunes shown above! Take the side road into the middle of the Eureka Valley and an easy 3 mile hike to the Hidden Dunes. They are about a 1200 ft vertical gain from bottom to top (almost twice as much as the Eureka Dunes). On April 17, 2016, I got great views of the dunes, White Mountain Peak, and there was a lot of Eureka Dunes Evening Primrose.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... f30f9cf5b9

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:24 am

Hidden Dunes are really neat to see. If you head out early and no one is already there the dunes will be footprint free. You probably wouldn't be taking your trailer out there. Make it a day trip from Eurkea base camp.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:43 pm

ETAV8R wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:24 am
Hidden Dunes are really neat to see. If you head out early and no one is already there the dunes will be footprint free. You probably wouldn't be taking your trailer out there. Make it a day trip from Eurkea base camp.
It's also a great place to camp. I have slept out there twice. Very peaceful. It's at the end of Dry Well Road. The turnoff is not marked and is easy to miss, especially driving south, so a good idea to get GPS coordinates.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.1529 ... 23&a=c,mba

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:25 am

wbdeford wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:43 pm
ETAV8R wrote:
It's also a great place to camp. I have slept out there twice. Very peaceful. It's at the end of Dry Well Road. The turnoff is not marked and is easy to miss, especially driving south, so a good idea to get GPS coordinates.

Yes in the right type of camper. Not sure I'd take a travel trailer out there to the well. One of my most memorable trips was coming into Eureka Valley at night. I was at the well around 1230AM. Made a quick camp with my popup and enjoyed a bit of the evening. Woke up early, had breakfast, then hiked to the dunes to do some photography. Had a snack sitting on one of the tallest dunes, purely enjoying the solitude. Hiked back to the truck, broke camp, then drove to Eureka and made camp again awaiting a friend who arrived that afternoon. It was the first day of a wonderful trip in Death Valley.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 am

ETAV8R wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:25 am
wbdeford wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:43 pm
ETAV8R wrote:

Yes in the right type of camper. Not sure I'd take a travel trailer out there to the well. One of my most memorable trips was coming into Eureka Valley at night. I was at the well around 1230AM. Made a quick camp with my popup and enjoyed a bit of the evening. Woke up early, had breakfast, then hiked to the dunes to do some photography. Had a snack sitting on one of the tallest dunes, purely enjoying the solitude. Hiked back to the truck, broke camp, then drove to Eureka and made camp again awaiting a friend who arrived that afternoon. It was the first day of a wonderful trip in Death Valley.
I have always found the road out there to be pretty smooth aside from ruts requiring somewhat decent clearance. But I've only taken midsize SUVs out there.