Cottonwood-Marble Canyon Loop

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
ScottyJ
Jayhawker

Cottonwood-Marble Canyon Loop

Post by ScottyJ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:45 am

Hello. I plan on backpacking this 26 mile loop next weekend March 11. I plan on hiking this loop for 2 days and 1 night and want to make sure this is possible. Is there anything I should be prepared for on this hike? Then I was hoping to go to Mahogany Camp Ground and spend one night and the next day hike up to Telescope Peak. Is it going to be too cold to camp at Mahogany and is there currently a lot of snow on Telescope? Can I get a topography map for these hikes at Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells? Any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your help!!!!

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Re: Cottonwood-Marble Canyon Loop

Post by TacoLand » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi Scotty. Just got back from the park a few hours ago and Cottonwood Canyon was absolutely jam-packed with people. Usually I'll see anywhere from zero to three groups from bottom to top of the canyon, but on Monday the 5th we saw almost ten groups with cars. Unreal. Here's a topo and guide for the hike -- https://caltopo.com/m/KA56

As for whether or not you'll be cold at Mahogany ... that's 8,200 and might be pretty chilly. Really going to depend on your gear and what you're comfortable in. I just snow camped at Strozzi Ranch at 6,300 which was cold as a mother, and everyone in our group has top-shelf gear thanks to working in the outdoor industry. Was probably around 10-15 that night. We tried to keep each other entertained as long as possible but once the sun set (early) and the whiskey ran out (pretty quick) we all dove into our trucks for a long night.

Wish I could offer better info but I'm pretty beat up from my trip and need some rest. Have a great trip!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Cottonwood-Marble Canyon Loop

Post by wbdeford » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:43 pm

Here is a Death Valley forecast. Subtract 40 degrees from these numbers for a rough estimate of Mahogany Flat:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/death ... view=table

If you want warmer, you might camp at WIldrose Campground (4000 ft). About 20 degrees warmer than Mahogany Flat

Also, there is a good chance of rain and snow this weekend, so be prepared for that on the loop, and to have to park at the Kilns and hike up from 6900 ft to Mahogany Flat.

26 miles in 2 days sounds reasonable if you are fit enough for it.

I hope we weren't too late replying to this question....