Tuber Canyon

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Tuber Canyon

Post by blackturtle.us » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:27 pm

Does anyone know if the road to the mouth of Tuber Canyon still exists or not? In other words, was it washed out never to be seen again? I haven't been to the canyon in several years and in the meantime there was that storm that washed out Wildrose Road. Just to be clear, Tuber Canyon is the major canyon between Jail Canyon and Wildrose Road. There hopefully still is a road which leads to the mouth of the canyon from Wildrose Road. I know the top of the canyon can be accessed from Hummingbird Spring ("quick" hop over the ridge), but I want to hike the bottom portion of the canyon. Also at one time there was access from Jail Canyon, but that road was closed years ago. So, if anyone has been on the road to the mouth of Tuber Canyon since the reopening of Wildrose Road, I'd very much appreciate any info that can be shared. Thanks!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Tuber Canyon

Post by wbdeford » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:00 am

I don't know the state of the road, but it appears to be only about 2 1/2 miles from Wildrose Rd to the mouth of Tuber canyon and only about 600 vertical feet, so not a bad hike at all.

Have you ever "hopped" over from Hummingbird Spring? I might like to try that. I remember seeing a really cool arch or natural bridge looking that direction from Hummingbird Spring, and would love to see it up close.

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:56 am

I've driven the road a couple times, but before the big washout. I know it's not very far, but if I'm going to hike ten miles I'd rather all of it be in the canyon instead of half of it spent getting to the canyon and back! Of course, with all the roads that have been closed in recent years that seems to be the situation far more often than I'd like!

Ridge - I didn't find it, but there is supposed to be a wickiup in the upper canyon. It's hard enough to get up there and so most likely no harm in mentioning that. A friend and her husband did find it and they started from Hummingbird Springs.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:55 pm

I guess what I'm saying is that with only 2 1/2 miles, I'd just go anyway even if it turned out the road was a no-go for a vehicle. But hopefully someone else will know.

There is a ridge that looks doable based on satellite images anyway....It starts about here:

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.2253 ... b=sat&a=sg

Here is a shot of the natural bridge I mentioned. (You don't have to have a FB account)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 80f3e856fe

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:33 pm

I was last there (from the bottom) in 2008 and we drove a jeep to the canyon mouth.

That arch at the top is cool! I like the idea of going into the upper canyon from Hummingbird Spring, and have been wondering what the travel is like beyond the spring.

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:05 pm

The other option and my backup plan is to drive to the mouth of Jail Canyon and take the old trail from there. I've never been on that stretch of trail and at least that would be something new and I think it's shorter.
My pics from 2008 here:
http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/JAIL/index.html
I've been there since (but before big wash out) but didn't take any pics on that trip.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Loving your image collection of the area

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:02 am

Having only driven by Indian Ranch once just over a year ago on the way to Surprise Canyon I know nothing about this sloped area of the Panamints so thanks for the link to your images.

Does that lake water come and go? I don't remember seeing any water when I went through.

Is Indian Spring inhabited? The warning signs about trespassing were scary.

This thread is filling my bucket list to overflowing LOL
Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:37 pm

If you hike in from Jail Canyon, you get a nice view down into Tuber on the way in, and you'll naturally find yourself on a high bypass trail going up Tuber. You want to be on that bypass, as the canyon bottom, though passable, is a bit choked. We walked up the canyon floor, then on the way back took the bypass, and did a side trip up on trails that connected with the Jail Canyon old road. There's a bunch of trails in there and I suggest you take a good look at the sat images to work out where you want to be if you come in that way.

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:29 am

INDIAN RANCH: I haven't heard much lately, but I visited a couple times in the 1990s. The bottom fall is spectacular (and would be easily accessible if not on private land) and a few of us scrambled up to see the next two falls up. During the 1990s a friend had a trailer on the Indian Ranch compound. It's private property (reservation land as I understand which has been leased in the past). A skilled climber rappelled down from the spring above the sequence of falls back in the 1990s. One of the falls is said to be 100 feet tall. The bottom one is about 60 feet tall, about as tall as the tallest Darwin Fall, but more water.

Yesterday I hiked Revenue Canyon (Argus Range across the valley from Tuber), but may get to Tuber before the end of Spring Break. BTW, I encountered a rather feisty rattlesnake in Revenue... first one I've seen this year.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:24 am

blackturtle.us, Thanks for those details. I had no idea about the waterfalls above Indian Ranch. I might stop in at the tribal office to ask about the ranch and if permission to explore is even possible. The whole area sounds fascinating. I appreciate your wisdom and experience with DV.
Life begins in Death Valley

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:51 am

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:24 am
blackturtle.us, Thanks for those details. I had no idea about the waterfalls above Indian Ranch. I might stop in at the tribal office to ask about the ranch and if permission to explore is even possible. The whole area sounds fascinating. I appreciate your wisdom and experience with DV.
That is lower Hall Canyon. Digonnet describes trails by which you can see some of it in Hiking Western Death Valley. Even if you can't get permission at Indian Springs, you can access the area via the Jail-Hall cutover.

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:10 am

I was able to drive into upper Hall a few times before they closed that road. That was my favorite road in the entire area. It was a crime to shut it down IMHO. Here are some pics of the upper canyon: http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/JAIL/ (Same page as previously posted, but just look at different pic sets. A set from 2006 is at the bottom of the page.)

I hiked in over the road last spring. It's 2000 feet of gain in the first mile and round trip I wound up with 3700' gain/loss over ten miles.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:03 pm

blackturtle.us wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:10 am
I was able to drive into upper Hall a few times before they closed that road. That was my favorite road in the entire area. It was a crime to shut it down IMHO. Here are some pics of the upper canyon: http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/JAIL/ (Same page as previously posted, but just look at different pic sets. A set from 2006 is at the bottom of the page.)

I hiked in over the road last spring. It's 2000 feet of gain in the first mile and round trip I wound up with 3700' gain/loss over ten miles.
Yes, a great road with awesome views down to the Panamint Valley and beyond, down into Hall, back down into Jail, and occasionally up to Telescope. I was there last April and the shack didn't look much different from your 2006 pics!

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:51 am

Good point. Looking at my pics from 2006 and the one I posted from May 2017, the cabin looks more or less the same. It was in bad shape back then and it certainly hasn't improved any over a decade. Of course, if the road was still open those who "adopted" the cabin could actually do something to improve the cabin. It has a darn nice stove in it!

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:50 pm

I made two trips to Tuber Canyon last week. On one trip I hiked south from the mouth of the canyon and into an unnamed canyon. I hiked a few miles up the canyon and then over to the ridge overlooking Tuber and followed the ridge back from there. On the other hike I just hiked five miles up and then down Tuber Canyon. The dirt road from Wildrose Road to the trailhead was in pretty good shape and my odometer has it at 2.6 miles in length. There were quite a few Panamint Daisy plants in the unnamed canyon.
PICS: http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/JAIL/