Echo Canyon and Hole in the Wall Canyon Question

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
generdude
Jayhawker

Echo Canyon and Hole in the Wall Canyon Question

Post by generdude » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:52 pm

I have driven and camped in my Sienna van about 3 miles up each of these roads but have gone no further up because of low clearance and lack of 4 WD. Now I have a 2017 Honda CRV, which has much higher clearance but does not have 4 WD. Is it possible to go much further up these roads in 2WD with high clearance?

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Echo Canyon and Hole in the Wall Canyon Question

Post by D.A. Wright » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:11 pm

It has been years since I’ve taken the road. From CA190 to the Inyo Mine, the road is generally fine for 2WD, EXCEPT one short spot, about two or three vehicle lengths long, where there was a staggered whoop-de-doo that created enough chassis and axle flex to lift wheels off the ground and created the need for 4WD. That spot was right where the canyon narrowed down as you entered it.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:20 pm

99% of roads are fine without 4wd. What you need are all-terrain (preferably off-road) tires. Good tires are far more important than your car's mechanics in most cases.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Echo Canyon and tires

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:00 pm

You might consider at 12 volt - cigarette lighter adapted air compressor because you can save tire shredding and blowouts if you lower the tire pressure to 15 to 20 lbs PSI when off-roading and then re-inflating when back on asphalt. The ride is much less bumpy, saves your suspension and general rattles from rocks and washboards.
I think I spent 80 bucks at Autozone for mine and always take it with me.

A few years ago I drove my ancient Honda Accord 2001 with regular tires out the Racetrack and back w/o problems by this method. I used it in March on my Subaru Crosstec on Henry Wade Road and Ashford Mine Road. Worked great.
Life begins in Death Valley

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:23 pm

I'd be wary of deflating and running tires at a lower PSI if they're standard road tires. While your mileage may vary, the sidewalls aren't constructed for that ... in your situation I'd make sure I have well-serviced tires, a full-sized spare, and go as far as you feel comfortable. Stopping if anything gives you pause and just park it there.

generdude
Jayhawker

Post by generdude » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:09 pm

I really appreciate all these replies. They are very helpful. I'll probably just do what I always do and go 3-4 miles, camp, and walk a lot! Any other favorite roads in mind?

Rockhopper
Jayhawker

Post by Rockhopper » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:42 pm

There are some camping spots on the Ashford Mine road, where it comes into to the low hills about a mile to a mile-and-a-half from the Badwater road. As I recall, the road that far is not bad; the worst bit is the last three-quarters of a mile up to the parking area for the Ashford canyon hike. And we made that in a Subaru Crosstrek. We saw 3 or 4 pickups with campers setting up camps in those hills.