Mountain Lions around?

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Re: Mountain Lions around?

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:58 pm

Though I think caution is warranted I am not as worried about a big cat as I am about inadvertently getting bitten by a rattlesnake. I've seen one only at a large distance and clearly running so as to not be seen. If I've been stalked or observed, it has been by a cat which does not want me to be aware, and I'm sure that is something it could do. I am pretty cautious of grizzlies and I do carry bear spray in grizz country. Not that I've ever used or even seen one except (also) at great distance, but I'd feel rather a fool to encounter one up close and not have the spray.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:45 pm

Sparky of SoCal wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:50 am
... I will continue to think they are just as afraid of me as I am of them...
That is true of mountain lions, bears and snakes! Except for the ones (namely bears) that have lost their fear of humans. Due to getting easy food from careless humans in the past.

The snakes are way smaller than any adult. So I reckon they rattle and act tough while they really desperately want the big scary monster to go away. :biggrin:

kayaker77
Jayhawker

Post by kayaker77 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Thank you, I'm glad to hear that they're probably afraid of us as well - that makes me feel better.

Never been afraid of snakes, I find them fascinating. I'm always hoping to see more (from a distance) and take some pictures. I guess I just feel intimidated by something that weighs more than me. And, of course, I'm allergic to cats, lol.