NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/17 while some forum software modifications are made.

Racetrack Playa, Ubehebe Crater & Artist's Palette Photography adventure

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Myron Hensel
Jayhawker

Racetrack Playa, Ubehebe Crater & Artist's Palette Photography adventure

Post by Myron Hensel » Fri May 25, 2018 4:59 pm

Hello guys I just wanted to share with you my most recent trip that I made to Death Valley's Racetrack Playa, Ubehebe crater and Artist's Palette.
The trail to the Racetrack Playa wasn't too bad especially with the vehicle I was in but I did air down the tires quite a bit and went 45mph to get out of the rhythm of the washboard effect on the trail.
Please enjoy!

desertdryad
Breyfogler

Re: Racetrack Playa, Ubehebe Crater & Artist's Palette Photography adventure

Post by desertdryad » Fri May 25, 2018 9:17 pm

Nice shots! (And nice truck, too.) Have you been to the Eureka Dunes? You could do someone great work out there, I bet.

Myron Hensel
Jayhawker

Post by Myron Hensel » Sat May 26, 2018 1:48 pm

Thank you! Not yet but it's certainly on the list of places to explore. There's so much out there but I had a limited time. All the more reason to come back and visit but unfortunately I think it may be too hot now.

desertdryad
Breyfogler

Post by desertdryad » Mon May 28, 2018 3:38 pm

Oh, I get it ... it's a BIG park. I've been there about .. 18 times? And I still haven't seen it all.

Eureka Valley contains the most amazing dunes in the entire park (my opinion). Certainly the tallest, and I'm betting the most extensive? There are some endemic plants and such, and it's a GREAT setting. I know zip about taking good photos, yet my favorite amateur photos of DV are from Eureka.

Surely too hot, now; but keep it in mind for next time! With your vehicle, getting to the dunes should be no problem, from the crater side approach. And, Crankshaft Crossing is nearly as much fun as Teakettle Junction... for similar reasons ;-)

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon May 28, 2018 5:34 pm

desertdryad wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:38 pm
Oh, I get it ... it's a BIG park. I've been there about .. 18 times? And I still haven't seen it all.

Eureka Valley contains the most amazing dunes in the entire park (my opinion). Certainly the tallest, and I'm betting the most extensive?
I'm pretty sure Mesquite Flat covers more land, so I'd say those are the most extensive (correct me if wrong).

The Hidden Dunes aren't as visually appealing as Eureka, and because they run up a mountain-side, they don't "count" as being taller, but if you measure from the point where you first reach the dunes to the peak, it's a 1300 ft vertical climb, vs 680 ft for the Eureka Dunes.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon May 28, 2018 6:28 pm

Spending the night on the Racetrack must have been nice.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue May 29, 2018 11:08 am

I really enjoyed the star trail photos from the Racetrack! Nice Four Runner as well.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Tue May 29, 2018 11:34 am

Nice stuff. Was that woman talking with you on the playa with you or there already? I think I met her when I was there last month. She's got some amazing photography if its the same person I met on my trip.

MidwestDesertRat
Jayhawker

Post by MidwestDesertRat » Tue May 29, 2018 11:42 am

You have some really nice shots. Ive never spent the night at the racetrack, but it sure seems worth it. Ive visited several times trying to get an iconic photo but have not had any luck.

Forgive me if you discussed this in your video (I had the sound off), but for your Milky Way shots what was your ISO and shutter speed? Also, you had some nice light on your foreground. Was this moonlight and if so, do you remember roughly how full the moon was?

Myron Hensel
Jayhawker

Post by Myron Hensel » Tue May 29, 2018 8:35 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:28 pm
Spending the night on the Racetrack must have been nice.
It was a great experience really. We camped out at the Homestake drycamp which is right at the end of the Playa.

Myron Hensel
Jayhawker

Post by Myron Hensel » Tue May 29, 2018 8:37 pm

ETAV8R wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:34 am
Nice stuff. Was that woman talking with you on the playa with you or there already? I think I met her when I was there last month. She's got some amazing photography if its the same person I met on my trip.
We ran into her as soon as we arrived and just go to talking shop. I haven't seen her work but judging from the shots she took that night they were pretty good. She is just getting into photography to my knowledge. I think she mentioned she was on a really long road trip. I guess you can do that when you own a pharmacy! Nice girl.

Myron Hensel
Jayhawker

Post by Myron Hensel » Tue May 29, 2018 8:41 pm

MidwestDesertRat wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:42 am
You have some really nice shots. Ive never spent the night at the racetrack, but it sure seems worth it. Ive visited several times trying to get an iconic photo but have not had any luck.

Forgive me if you discussed this in your video (I had the sound off), but for your Milky Way shots what was your ISO and shutter speed? Also, you had some nice light on your foreground. Was this moonlight and if so, do you remember roughly how full the moon was?
Well in the video you will see a picture I took of the moon right over the mountain. I don't remember my exact settings but I want to say Iso 5000 and 25 seconds. I use a variety of lights. Depending on the shoot it was either just the ambient light, my little lantern I have or my headlamp. There's no wrong way to do it. Just what you think you can work with and control. You could even use the flashlight feature on your phone if you wanted to. It all depends on what you're going for.

Myron Hensel
Jayhawker

Post by Myron Hensel » Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 pm

D.A. Wright wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:08 am
I really enjoyed the star trail photos from the Racetrack! Nice Four Runner as well.
Thank you! The reason why I got the 4runner was to get out to locations like this. You've got some cool panoramas. In my latest video I just uploaded I did some Milky Way panoramas.