Water Source info?

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Water Source info?

Post by wbdeford » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:50 am

For my upcoming May trip, I have mapped out the following potential water sources (The blue dots in this map: https://caltopo.com/m/07UJ ) . Does anyone have first hand knowledge of any of these, including, if possible, GPS coordinates where you actually found usable water, and when?

Anvil Spring
Colter Spring
Pleasant Canyon (about 6000 ft)
Happy Canyon Middle (about 4200 ft)
Happy Canyon Upper (about 5500 ft)

Panamint City (I know this one is good)
Jail Canyon Middle (about 5250 ft)
Tuber Spring

Mahogany Flat (lots of water in my vehicle)

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Re: Water Source info?

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:21 pm

I haven't been up Happy in 20 years, but on two trips, both those springs were quite impressive sources of water. The lower one had a flowing stream. The upper one had a lot of vegetation and plastic pipe bringing the water out to the Weston's cabin. That area burned some years ago, in a fire originating at the cabin, but it looks like it's still there, along with the associated trailer (there used to be a road up Happy) in the sat images. That's a super place to camp - they had a lawn outside the cabin!

Did I mention that there's a trail from the cabin up the right / south fork up to the road to the Porter Mine, comes out to the mine road just before it's gated.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:59 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:21 pm
I haven't been up Happy in 20 years, but on two trips, both those springs were quite impressive sources of water. The lower one had a flowing stream. The upper one had a lot of vegetation and plastic pipe bringing the water out to the Weston's cabin. That area burned some years ago, in a fire originating at the cabin, but it looks like it's still there, along with the associated trailer (there used to be a road up Happy) in the sat images. That's a super place to camp - they had a lawn outside the cabin!

Did I mention that there's a trail from the cabin up the right / south fork up to the road to the Porter Mine, comes out to the mine road just before it's gated.
I looked up Weston cabin and it seems things deteriorated since you were there. Steve Hall reports in 2011 that it was very hard to find the running water there and it took a lot of bushwhacking. http://www.panamintcity.com/panamint/happycanyon.html

Fortunately, it's only about 1 mile from where I reach the Happy floor down to the lower spring, so I will probably visit it regardless. Steve doesn't describe the water at that spring.

Colter Spring is the most critical of my unknowns. Since that is South Park Canyon, and people drive it, I am guessing it's not hard to get to it there. Digonnet describes the creek flooding the road, so I guess I'm good there(?)

Thanks for the tip on the trail.....guessing it is pretty close to my route? My route touches the route shown on the topos near the Happy/Pleasant divide.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:30 pm

Of the springs on your list, I have only experience with Pleasant, Anvil and Coulter. But it has been about 21-22 years with Coulter and Pleasant, and 18 years with Anvil since passing by. I imagine drought years since have impacted them so that my description may not be accurate.

Anvil: Yards below the Geologist cabin. Usually just a mushy area on my travels through. Water just wets the ground and creates mud and grass, no real flow. Sometimes water reaches the road passing by, sometimes not. In the past, often burro fouled.

Coulter. Does flow, down the roadway some distance before dropping over the side and into its channel below and beside the road. Often creates a major ice buildup in winter, creating a dicey driving experience (I’ve done South Park in winter a few times). Some dense willow growth along the road on both sides, but water can be obtained in the road. Water flow is swift enough to run pretty clear.

I’ve been by Pleasant a few times, don’t recall much other than I think it drained into a water trough at or very near the junction of the road climbing up to the Porter mine, the saddle between the canyons where Weston’s used to park their truck. The last time I was up there was the winter after the big fire in the 1990s. I believe there was a good flow of water, maybe two or three gallons per minute.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:29 am

So, Anvil would seem to be a scratch, though I might visit it anyway if Pleasant works out. Pleasant might allow me to delay Colter Spring until after Striped Butte. Or I could revisit Pleasant on the way back up the crest and skip Colter altogether. OTOH, I may want to visit Colter for its own sake.
A lot will depend on how I am doing on time. Thanks!
D.A. Wright wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:30 pm
Of the springs on your list, I have only experience with Pleasant, Anvil and Coulter. But it has been about 21-22 years with Coulter and Pleasant, and 18 years with Anvil since passing by. I imagine drought years since have impacted them so that my description may not be accurate.

Anvil: Yards below the Geologist cabin. Usually just a mushy area on my travels through. Water just wets the ground and creates mud and grass, no real flow. Sometimes water reaches the road passing by, sometimes not. In the past, often burro fouled.

Coulter. Does flow, down the roadway some distance before dropping over the side and into its channel below and beside the road. Often creates a major ice buildup in winter, creating a dicey driving experience (I’ve done South Park in winter a few times). Some dense willow growth along the road on both sides, but water can be obtained in the road. Water flow is swift enough to run pretty clear.

I’ve been by Pleasant a few times, don’t recall much other than I think it drained into a water trough at or very near the junction of the road climbing up to the Porter mine, the saddle between the canyons where Weston’s used to park their truck. The last time I was up there was the winter after the big fire in the 1990s. I believe there was a good flow of water, maybe two or three gallons per minute.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:56 pm

The lower spring that I mentioned is the one by the old mining ruins and structure that Steve shows in that TR It looked pretty overgrown in there, but I don't know if it is worse than it was in 95 and 96 time frame when I went up. Yes I went up a second time - it was not really horrible as Steve describes, but it might have gotten more overgrown of course.

They must have gotten some water at the upper spring? I was not clear on that. The cabin looks like it is still in good shape. I wonder if they tried the faucets :)

Yes the trail from the cabin hits the Happy/Pleasant divide exactly where that road pops over, the road which goes into the Porter Mine. The Westons used to keep a couple of motorcycles stashed there when they were at the cabin. They were nice folks.

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:21 pm

Regarding water near the Weston Cabin: I have an eight mile loop which I've done about six times which I haven't done since 2013 which starts at the saddle between Happy and Pleasant. It heads down to the Weston Cabin and then it goes up the MIDDLE fork of Happy. Basically the Weston Cabin is located at the intersection of three forks of the canyon. At the bottom of the middle fork there's a large patch of wildrose plants. There's always been running water under them every time I've done the loop. In fact, there's pipe from there to the cabin. It's about 300 or so yards from the cabin, but I'm pretty sure that's where the Weston's got their water.
http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/SURPRISE/ (Three sets of pics from "Happy" hikes.)

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:30 am

Awesome. Thanks, blackturtle! That will help reduce the load I have to bring over from Surprise.

The one in Jail.....the biggest unknown now is the one in Jail