NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days off and on starting 10/9 while some forum software modifications are made.

What is my Jeep's Capability?

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
AlaskaIsCold
Jayhawker

Re: What is my Jeep's Capability?

Post by AlaskaIsCold » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:19 am

D.A. Wright wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:55 pm
You will be fine with the BFGs. They have 3-ply sidewalls. I think your tires are 8-ply treads. 25psi will help floatation in the sand, 20 better. Just have the means to air back up once you hit pavement.

The sand isn’t normally that bad south of the dunes since the trail is well travelled and packed down. However, if you go after a storm, there will be fresh sand blown in.
and going up Dedeckera Canyon shouldnt be a problem either?

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:28 am

Your tires won't hold you back from going up into Dedeckera Canyon from the dunes. Just going to have to take your time and pick your line well on the shelf at the beginning if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I've gone that way.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:11 am

The first rock staircase on DeDeckera going south is the worst of any of them and looks intimidating first approaching it. It has been a dozen years since I’ve been through there but recall it easier to negotiate than it looks. After the first staircase, the rest are easy.

Since your rig is raised I see no clearance issues.

Your tires, if in good condition, are probably the best all purpose tire for Death Valley and vicinity. The are rugged, they have excellent traction in all but deep mud, they are quiet on the street, they work great in snow.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Older Fossil
Grubstaker

Post by Older Fossil » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:01 pm

AlaskaIsCold wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:24 pm
Do you think I can do steel pass? I think its called dedeckera canyon thats the max I want to to, im just worried my grand cherokee is too wide, or its not tall enough or my tires are too small (30x9.5) with my klr I just popped it up and over. but I know I need to be a lot slower, put it in 4 low. What do you think?
I just happened to come across this picture of a friend's Jeep Cherokee (old style) coming up the steps in Dedeckera Canyon. It's a little narrower than I had recalled, but we had just gone up in our TJ Jeep Wranger.

Art Berggreen
Living and traveling full-time in a 39 ft. diesel pusher.
http://arts-work.blogspot.com