On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Keane Wonder Mine area closed

of Death Valley and vicinity
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:34 pm

I heard from a Beatty resident there's a rumor that Keane may be reopened sometime in the foreseeable future. I haven't found any confirmation of this. But has anyone else heard anything?

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:38 pm

I've heard this from rangers various times. It was in the works until Scotty's Castle was damaged, which set all park projects back several years.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:55 pm

I spoke to someone in the NPS last October (who I am not going to name because I don't know if they were supposed to give me this information yet).

But, they are hoping to re-open Keane soon.

The issues were

1. Open mine shafts (fixed).
2. Securing the tram (fixed).
3. Cyanide/lead.

The cyanide and lead are abated enough that people can remain at the site for 6-8 hours at a time without being endangered. However, they were having a hard time convincing the higher-ups in DC of this.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:39 pm

Aedwards27 wrote:I spoke to someone in the NPS last October (who I am not going to name because I don't know if they were supposed to give me this information yet).

But, they are hoping to re-open Keane soon.

The issues were

1. Open mine shafts (fixed).
2. Securing the tram (fixed).
3. Cyanide/lead.

The cyanide and lead are abated enough that people can remain at the site for 6-8 hours at a time without being endangered. However, they were having a hard time convincing the higher-ups in DC of this.
This pretty much matches what I was told by the Beatty resident.

DavidW
Jayhawker

Re: Keane Wonder Mine area closed

Post by DavidW » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:37 am

I have been going to death valley a long time, and would love to see it open again since I have never been there. I'm all for safety, but I feel they close too many places down, or fix them up to make them safer. When I go out there, I want to see how things were. If I want to go into a mine, I should be able to take that risk. If I want to see a structure that was built many years ago, I should be able to see it without it being stabilized, and how it was originally. Im not gonna go into a mine that is unstable, or go climbing around a hundred year old unstable structure. Instead of protecting the not so smart people from themselves, it should be explore at your own risk. Anyways, rant over.
Looking forward to my death valley trip tomorrow!

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Re: Keane Wonder Mine area closed

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:28 am