Vintage pics, Coso Hot Springs, Junction, and others

of Death Valley and vicinity
janders1957
Jayhawker

Vintage pics, Coso Hot Springs, Junction, and others

Post by janders1957 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:36 pm

I posted near last year about my trip to Junction Ranch, Millspaugh, Old Coso Village, etc. within the NAWS China Lake facility. I still have not been cleared to post any photos. But I am planning a return trip, sparked by an inquiry from the base archeologist when she came across info crediting my grandfather, John Carricart, with discovery of Little Petroglyph Canyon.
I hope to spend the better part of the day there, taking pictures, and am trying to finagle a trip to Coso Hot Springs.

In the mean time, I have posted some vintage family pictures to a Picasa album https://picasaweb.google.com/janders195 ... directlink

Some are labeled as taken at Coso Hot Springs, a few from Junction ranch, and some where location is unknown. I think comments are enabled, so please feel free to comment if you can confirm any locations or have other interesting info.

Regards,

Jon

Update, trip and dates confirmed. Early November I'll be at Little Petroglyph for sure, and Coso Hot Springs is looking very very good!
Hope it doesn't take forever to get all the pictures from my two visits cleared, I'm really itching to share them...

janders1957
Jayhawker

Updated my Upper Mohave album, over 190 photos

Post by janders1957 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:18 am

2 weeks from now, I'll be headed home from my 2nd trip to NAWS China Lake. Given the interest this visit is generating, and my conversations with folks at Maturango and HSUMD, I was motivated to scan everything I have that I thought relates to the general area, and found I had a lot more than I thought!
I've updated that album with better scans of the original photos I posted, and added many more. I'm still chewing through captioning them. Many appear to be Junction ranch and Coso Hot Springs. A fair number show people and places I do not know. There is also some stuff of general family history, and just to share, a few photos of Hoover Dam during construction.
These pictures date from the mid 1920's to early 1940's and depict every day life in the area.

I invite everyone to take a look. Comments should be enabled, and I hope some visitors will recognize and confirm locations.
Last edited by janders1957 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Great photos!

Older Fossil
Grubstaker

Re: Updated my Upper Mohave album, over 190 photos

Post by Older Fossil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:13 pm

janders1957 wrote:2 weeks from now, I'll be headed home from my 2nd trip to NAWS China Lake. Given the interest this visit is generating, and my conversations with folks at Maturango and HSUMD, I was motivated to scan everything I have that I thought relates to the general area, and found I had a lot more than I thought!
I've updated that album with better scans of the original photos I posted, and added many more. I'm still chewing through captioning them. Many appear to be Junction ranch and Coso Hot Springs. A fair number show people and places I do not know. There is also some stuff of general family history, and just to share, a few photos of Hoover Dam during construction.
These pictures date from the mid 1920's to early 1940's and depict every day life in the area.

I invite everyone to take a look. Comments should be enabled, and I hope some visitors will recognize and confirm locations.
Photo #47 sure looks to be "Old Dinah". That steam tractor was salvaged and brought to Furnace Creek Ranch in 1932, one year after the label on the photo.

Art

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Art,

You must be the one that commented, thanks! I searched on Old Dinah and updated with some info I found.

Jon

robbiemize
Grubstaker

Post by robbiemize » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:44 pm

that photo 73 is definitely of telescope peak on the left and sentinel peak on the right, taken from roughly the parrot point area it looks like.

very cool photos! especially love the one of everyone in their bathing suits.
Last edited by robbiemize on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
attitude is a decision

robbiemize
Grubstaker

Post by robbiemize » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:58 pm

photos 127 and 128 are taken in Red Rock canyon state park on hwy 14 in the mojave desert in CA.

i have taken a photo of the exact same rock in photo 128!!!

way cool!
attitude is a decision

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:16 pm

robbiemize wrote:photos 127 and 128 are taken in Red Rock canyon state park on hwy 14 in the mojave desert in CA.
i have taken a photo of the exact same rock in photo 128!!!
I suspected Red Rock Canyon. I love black and white, but wow, your color shot is great. And from almost the exact same spot probably at least 60 years later. Also noticed, looks like a few bushes from the old shot are still present in your shot!

robbiemize
Grubstaker

Post by robbiemize » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 pm

ya when i saw that picture it immediately jumped out to me. that rock there is unforgettable! cool to try and match up specific plants and rocks and compare how things have changed over the years! also cool to think of them standing in the same spot i was in how many decades ago, doing the exact same thing i was. so cool!
attitude is a decision

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:48 pm

nice one!

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Was up at Millspaugh, Junction, and Little Petroglyph Canyon today. Not near as many pictures taken this trip, but I made sure some pictures of me at Junction and the Millspaugh boiler were taken with my camera. My hosts from the first visit took those shots with their cameras and I still don't have copies... :( I'm dealing with different folks here this trip, and it looks like they can get all my pictures cleared, from this and my first trip, in reasonably short order. :)

The great news, is we pinned the location of a couple photos, #77 beyond any shadow of doubt, and very likely #81 is at the same location.
#77 has my aunt Lucille next to a woman on horseback, in a canyon, with part of a cabin visible behind them. We drove up Bobcat Canyon, and there it was, still standing! We matched the profile of the hill behind perfectly, and I was able to take a picture from within feet of where the original was shot from, probably some 70 years ago. (Oh, how I wish someone had at least dated all the photos...)

[edit] Looking closer, I'm doubtful now that #81 is the same location as #77. I just realized there's nowhere for a fence to cast that shadow if it was the same as #77, and the hill behind is not steep enough.

A bit harder to tell, but I really think #79 is the same cabin, side profile, from up on the south side of the canyon. There is a significant erosion gully between the road and building now. Lots of bits of metal, broken pottery/china, even the heel of a shoe. It was really neat to have a picture of someplace out there, somewhere, that I really had little hope of identifying, and then find myself right there, looking at it!

And btw, I think it was someone from here that privately emailed saying he was taking the Little Petroglyph tour in November? Well, there were two groups just leaving the canyon when we arrived. So if you were there and saw us pull up in a Navy truck, that was me!

We're heading up to Coso Hot Springs tomorrow. Hope to take lots of pictures there.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:35 pm

You are one very fortunate soul to be able to taste "forbidden fruit", walking on lands locked up to us mortal souls.

I have been on two private tours of Little Petroglyph Canyon before 9/11 and enjoyed seeing from a distance such locations as you are walking on now.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:22 am

Yes, I am very aware of that, and very keen to share what I have seen.
Some photos were taken for the base newsletter, and that goes online in PDF format. Soon as that's published I'll post a link.

I can post my petroglyph shots now, but there's lots of those around. All the other shots have to be cleared... Will post a link soon as I can share them.

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:55 pm

Got to Coso Hot Springs this morning! The hotel and restaurant are still standing and the outer walls are in good shape, being stone. The hotel's roof over the central main room is on the floor, exposing the individual rooms to weathering.

The restaurant turns out to have an outer stone, well, I guess veranda for lack of the proper name, running around 3 sides, the inner building is adobe.
The roof is largely gone, and so the adobe is really taking a beating. Got a fair number of pictures of both, and the restaurant from inside the veranda area. The big mud pit was really going, -lots- of steam. None of the pictures I have from the mid 20's show anywhere near as much. We couldn't go down to the lower mud flat areas, it's fenced off. A few wooden outbuildings still stand, several more are wood piles. A couple steam vents up near the hills to the west, was really blowing. I kept thinking someone was really hauling down the dirt road toward us before realizing what it was.

Took pictures of some random artifacts on the ground, and some general scenic shots of the area as a whole.

All in all, it was fantastic to see what's still there and be able to record it.

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Well, I'm sorta starting to wonder if I'm ever going to get any of my pictures from inside China Lake cleared. I understand it's hardly a priority for them, but DANG, I'm itching to share...
In the mean time, here's the Rocketeer article on my recent visit.
http://www.aerotechnews.com/chinalake/2 ... hina-lake/

On the cover, the woman on the left is my aunt Lucille, don't know who the other woman is. Lead archaeologist says this is Bobcat Canyon, another friend that works there says that's a modern name. It was part of the New Hope Mine Group.

Claim for New Hope #1 was filed March 9, 1936, claims for #2-#6 filed the next day, by E.W. Randolph. Claims contested by the government stipulating they were non-mineral in nature, and minerals were not present in sufficient quantities to as to make valid claims, they were subsequently abandoned.

The PDF which can be downloaded, has an additional photo of me standing on the Millspaugh boiler. I have 3 photos of my grandfather standing on it along with my aunt Lois, probably very late 30's or early 40's. Also, from Liz Babcock at Maturango Museum, have a picture of him actually operating the boiler in 1902! Looking at it today, it's hard to picture that a building once stood there.

So there's at least two current pictures from inside the Forbidden Zone...