Big Bell and BB Extension Mines

of Death Valley and vicinity
Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Big Bell and BB Extension Mines

Post by Gowergulch42 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Can someone please explain the difference? I've seen some referred to as the other, and vice versa. It's secretly a place I'd like to get to (secretly) and I'd just like to know the difference :neutral:
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:34 am

BB Extension Mine see HDV page 119

BB Mine see HDV page 117

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:57 am

Ah. Probably should have checked there before posting here. Thanks
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:46 am

One of my favorite "family" hikes in DV used to be to go up the Keane Wonder tramway trail, proceed up past Keane toward Big Bell on the trail above the wash. There was a trail junction up there, a big cairn with an old cast iron frying pan on top of it, and the trail that went off at a sharp left went to the BB extension. It crossed some rolling hills, then dropped steeply (but a trail all the way) down to the BB extension mine camp. From there the trail contoured above the wash floor, past the main mine workings, and eventually topped out of the wash on descent, and went to down to the Johnny Cyty (sp?) site. From there you'd walk the old water pipe back to Keane Wonder parking.

At this point, I'm pretty sure that the entire extent of this hike is part of the Keane closure. But it was a real winner.

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Mojave, you pretty much described the dream loop route that I'm hoping to take the day that Keane reopens. I've never done BB Extension before.

Like to Hike
Breyfogler

HDV ??

Post by Like to Hike » Thu May 02, 2013 9:52 pm

Ok, relative newbie here or I'm just mental tonight. What is HDV page 119
and HDV page 117?

Like to Hike
Breyfogler

Nevermind

Post by Like to Hike » Thu May 02, 2013 9:59 pm

I'm guessing it's the obvious...Hiking Death Valley. Duh....

geonuc
Jayhawker

Re: Nevermind

Post by geonuc » Sat May 04, 2013 1:43 am

Like to Hike wrote:I'm guessing it's the obvious...Hiking Death Valley. Duh....
LOL. Yes, it's Digonnet's Hiking Death Valley.

Moly Man
Breyfogler

Post by Moly Man » Fri May 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Michel Digonnet mentions in his book that the discover of the Big Bell Extension, Johnnie Cyty, had hopes to intercept the continuation of veins originating from the Big Bell and possibly even from the Keane Wonder ore body. Speculating here, it seems likely that Cyty and associates were hoping to intercept a portion of the original vein displaced by faulting. Veins displaced by faults could be legally mined by second parties. An example of this would be the United Verde and the United Verde Extension in Jerome, AZ-the UVX was initially believed to be the downward displaced portion of the original United Verde ore body.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri May 10, 2013 2:51 pm

So that's why it's called "extension"? Cool. I've wondered about that for years, since they really are not right next to each other.

Moly Man
Breyfogler

Post by Moly Man » Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Yeah Mojave...that would be my guess as to the reasoning behind the name. If and when Keane Wonder and the Big Bell is once again open to the public, it will rank at the very top of my list of Death Valley trips.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat May 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Three great hikes around Keane:

Chloride down to the Keane parking if you can have someone pick you up, stop at the Big Bell.

The Keane / Big Bell Extension / Johnny Cyty mill loop mentioned above

King Midas (very nice) then loop over to the Keane tramway. Lots of little mines and trails in between. I tried to get over around the area near the top of the tramway but could not find a way down. Ended up going down the ridge a bit and crossing over the canyon to the tramway, through what was obviously a Keane trash heap at the bottom. Only a short bit of that was off trail.

I'll be happy to go back.

Moly Man
Breyfogler

Post by Moly Man » Sun May 12, 2013 11:09 pm

All three of those hikes sound great. Mines, Mills and an Aerial Tramway...what more could an aficionado of mining history want than a hike that would incorporate all three.