How accessable is Leadfield?

of Death Valley and vicinity
Desslok
Jayhawker

How accessable is Leadfield?

Post by Desslok » Fri May 17, 2013 1:58 pm

So I'm doing research on cool Ghost Towns to visit while I'm in the park and I've found some great looking pictures of Leadfield. Thing is, I'm finding two differing reports on if a non-4x4 car can get there. The park says high clearance 4×4, but a couple of other sources say a 2 wheel drive car would have no problems making the trip.

So I figured I'd ask the experts. Is the park service overly cautious, is there nothing to worry about, or something in the middle?

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:45 pm

A little of all of the above. Titus Canyon Road (The access to Leadfield) was recently repaired and regraded, so you will have no problem. You don't need 4WD or HC for this road. Keep in mind that it does get very hot and be over prepared for everything, especially in a stock car. Most of the shafts are closed off, unless you're really adventurous and know where to look.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Wingman
Jayhawker

Post by Wingman » Fri May 17, 2013 4:20 pm

Definitely in between. There are a couple of steepish and rocky spots and one rock that will scrape the bottom of a regular car you if you're not paying some attention. A truly gorgeous drive, though, and very highly recommended. Go slow , get out of the car and wander periodically, go slow, and you should be fine. Don't plan this and too many other activities for the same day, though. This drive is just too wonderful to hurry through...

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri May 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Your mileage may vary, but I've driven it three or four times over many years in rental sedans with no problem (and no scraping either). It was not a particularly hard road - until you get to the end where it is two way between the canyon mouth and pavement, that can get pretty bumpy at times.

Desslok
Jayhawker

Post by Desslok » Mon May 20, 2013 10:42 am

Cool beans! Yeah, I kind of figured that the government would err on the side of caution, but I didn't want to get caught with my pants down with a rental.

So, take it slow. Got it!

DVLion
Jayhawker

Post by DVLion » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:07 pm

Can these structures be hiked to? Seems I remember hiking in Titus Canyon several years ago but not too deep.

matmiss
Breyfogler

Post by matmiss » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:05 am

Did the Titus canyon road last week. Fine for 2WD but have at least 6" clearance - there are bedrock boulders in the road above Leadfield. Bumby in a couple of places - just slow down!
Yes you can hike to the 3 structures still left at Leadfield - nice trails. 2 are mine hoist buildings. There are some mines in the area too - but, as always, be careful! The story of the town and scam is fascinating! Think about what the scam folks went through when they built that road to get there - !!

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:41 pm

Over the decades I've seen all manner of Chevy Lumina rentals in Titus. I've even seen a BMW 3 Series sedan.

I'd recommend being a careful driver if using a rental and make sure your dirt road driving won't void something on your rental agreement if you do. Tires would be the most limiting factor, those pebbles tend to work their way through the tread on inferior tires (even OEM tires from major manufactures are pretty inferior); repeated jolts by protruding larger rocks tend to make puncture wounds that all air to escape.

If the road is open, generally a 2WD SUV or pickup will do fine, as you have gravity on your side with exception for the grades to White Pass and Red Pass.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

desertdryad
Breyfogler

Post by desertdryad » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:15 pm

David Wright! Good to 'see' you in these parts, again! :cool: