Found Mining Claim Document 1928

of Death Valley and vicinity
wraycharles
Jayhawker

Found Mining Claim Document 1928

Post by wraycharles » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:51 am

Note: this item is now hidden a bit more out of the elements where I found it for others to find and enjoy.

While visiting some of Death Valley's fantastic mine sites I stumbled across an old tobacco tin half buried and up away from the actual mine. Being one of the few I've ever seen with the lid still attached and closed I picked it up and to my amazement found a beautiful old claim document folded up inside for the Mohawk No. 1 mine. Strangely it was not found at the Mohawk mine. Perhaps both mines were owned or worked by the same person? Does anyone know any of the history pertaining to this particular claim? I've included a link to a high resolution photograph of the document at the bottom of this post. Thanks!

Appears to be signed by W J McDonald on October 27th, 1928. Mohawk No. 1 quartz claim in Inyo county.

High resolution photograph of the document:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/117962664@ ... 4/sizes/o/

N0 02
Breyfogler

Post by N0 02 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:28 am

Amazing find. Thanks for sharing the document.

alluvialfan
Grubstaker

Post by alluvialfan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks for the find & photo; good history. That is incredible, to find a document like that from 1928, nearly 86 years ago.
Perhaps Inyo County still has the records.

You should ask the DV Natl Park service too. If you found it in DVNP, I would think it is their property. But it seems like they would let you keep it, I don't know.

wraycharles
Jayhawker

Post by wraycharles » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:25 pm

We decided that historically significant records would already be digitized and if we brought the document anywhere the best that might happen is it would make it into one of the small museums. Worst is it would get filed away never to be seen again or thrown away. Best to just leave it where it was and if someone found it historically important we could always direct them back to its location.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:33 pm

That's a cool find and a lot of fun! It's actually not that uncommon to find these, if you investigate the rock cairns that form the claim corners, often just like that, in a tobacco tin. I look at them but generally don't even pull out the papers more than to see that they are authentic as its pretty fragile stuff, that old yellowed out paper. Thanks for posting the photo though!

I believe there's a good chance Inyo county will have a record some place recording the claim. I've heard instances of people chasing them down.

It is interesting that something like that can sit out in the desert for nearly 100 years and still be legible. If it was some old digital medium we'd probably never be able to read them :)