King Midas Treasure More Valuable Than Gold Within

Information on books, maps, museums, and other related material
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

King Midas Treasure More Valuable Than Gold Within

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:04 pm

In December 2019 I spent a lovely clear day around The King Midas environment. Among the fascinating mining structures and artifacts was a marker created by James Edgar Harris, the son of the last claim owner to honor his father, mother, and the work performed at the mine. This memorial was placed in its position on July 1983 is still in good shape because it's anchored inside the mine opening preventing the harsh weathering of the open air.

I was touched by human emotion, passion, and historical significance as I read the marker. I felt a longing to connect with these hard-working people. The legacy they have left us is a real treasure.

The image I snapped of the marker is converted into a pdf so that those interested can download, zoom in or zoom out to your own reading comfort levels. The file is rather large so be patient as it loads which depending on several factors may even take a few minutes. I just tested this link and with a high-speed fiber-optic connection, a new Netgear router, and a new MacBook Pro, it still took just over a minute to load.

http://salamandersociety.com/deathvalle ... -legal.pdf
Last edited by Death Valley Dazed on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life begins in Death Valley

Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: King Midas Treasure More Valuable Than Gold Within

Post by Kauri » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:45 pm

Very nice! Thank you for posting this hi-resolution image of the memorial at the King Midas mine (which will help preserve the contents of the letter for posterity). I hope to someday visit the mine, after my failed attempt due to high winds during my last DV trip. (BTW, the image loaded very quickly on my school WiFi connection.)
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Re: King Midas Treasure More Valuable Than Gold Within

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:51 pm

Kauri wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:45 pm
Thank you for posting this hi-resolution image of the memorial at the King Midas mine (which will help preserve the contents of the letter for posterity).
You're welcome Kauri. I'm working on a video tribute to The Harris Family and their work at the King Midas. Coincidentally, 68 years ago this month, February 1952, Pat Harris, wife of Mike Harris the mine owner took this image in the canyon below the mine and their campsite. Mike's son, Jim Harris, age 89 confirmed the names and dates for me which I've edited into the vintage photograph. My video will capture and frame this image in the exact same location from which it was taken way back then.

Life begins in Death Valley