Desert Wildflowers

Information on books, maps, museums, and other related material
GaryW
Jayhawker

Desert Wildflowers

Post by GaryW » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Just wondering if anyone out there could suggest a desert wildflower reference book.
I've been looking at California Desert Wildflowers by a Philip A Munz and have found it to be totally lacking. It's difficult to use and so far has failed to list most of the flowers i've tried to look up.
Thanks for any help

Garyw

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:22 am

I enjoy wildflowers, but I've never been big on trying to identify them. I used to have this book in my collection, but sold it some years ago when I thinned out the books I never used:

The book is :
Colorful Desert Wildflowers: California-Arizona
Ward, Grace B. & Ward, Onas M.

You might be able to find it in a library or through abebooks.com
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

GaryW
Jayhawker

Flowers

Post by GaryW » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:07 pm

It's odd I suppose. I would never look twice at a spectacular flower garden here at home. But I find the flowers that manage the struggle of blooming in the desert facinating.Also I endure the time between my trips as an excuse to scan thru my photos and try to identify everything i've seen that caught my eye and every place i've passed by. Thanks for the lead.
GaryW

blackturtle
Breyfogler

Post by blackturtle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:05 pm

I have a list of useful desert wildflower/plant books posted here:
http://www.blackturtle.us/DV_PLANTS/
The Jepson Desert Manual: Vascular Plants of Southeastern California (Baldwin et. al. ) includes more or less everything that grows in the Mojave and a bit more, but the cost of completeness is that it's not as easy to use as some of the less complete books. For ease of use I have found Great Basin Wildflowers: A Guide to Common Wildflowers of the High Deserts of Nevada, Utah, and Oregon (Blackwell) and Mojave Desert Wildflowers (MacKay) most useful. Although the title of the Blackwell book indicates that it targets areas outside of the California desert, his book is especially useful for areas above 4000 feet in Death Valley. MacKay's book is better for the lower elevation stuff. Death Valley is sort of a transitional zone between the Mojave Desert and the Great Basin and so there's a pretty interesting mix of plants.