A. I. Pittinger, who was he?

Information on books, maps, museums, and other related material
janders1957
Jayhawker

A. I. Pittinger, who was he?

Post by janders1957 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:19 am

In the context of the Upper Mohave region in the 1940's, does anyone know who A. I. Pittinger is, what he did, or at least, his first name?

In the March 1946 Desert Magazine, a brief mention is made of a letter received from Mr. Pittinger stating the small valley south of Darwin Wash where Junction Ranch resides, was named Carricart Valley in honor of John Carricart. This btw, does not show in any map I've seen yet, but what I'm interested more it, is who is Pittinger and what might the connection be with my family. Not finding anything really obvious on Google, going to have to follow a lot of seeming unrelated genealogy links to see if I can find the right person.

Thought I'd ask if anyone has anything on him. At the least, a first name would help narrow my searches!

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 pm

I checked my research notes and found nothing that I've run across.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Thank you for looking. I wrote Maturango and HSUMD too. If they come up empty too, then perhaps he was just a personal friend...

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Ah, it's nice to have made friends with the local curators...

Carol at HSUMD suggested I search on a Lt. Abraham Pittinger. He was involved in an aviation incident (as passenger, uninjured) while stationed at NOTS, though the incident occurred elsewhere.

So he was there when my grandfather was. Not a lot of A. Pittingers around, so pretty sure I've got the right one. It would seem then, that Carricart was likely a name given, and used by, those on the base and not given by whoever assigns names to geological features.

That would explain why Carricart Valley shows on no maps, but the guys that work out there use that name.

Now, to try and ferret out just how Mr. Pettinger knew John...
Last edited by janders1957 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Found a bit more, an article in a 1993 The Rocketeer here:

http://chinalakealumni.org/Downloads/Ro ... 1.1993.pdf

Page 12 discusses how two men were tasked with clearing residents and miners off the back range (what's now Etcharren/Carricart Valley) and some of the rather interesting characters they encountered. And how they came to meet my grandfather, and decided to make him caretaker/guard at Junction.

Mentions his death 2 years later, and the valley and dry lake bed at the south end of the valley being named in his honor. So it was strictly a local thing. And, the article was written by Abraham Pittinger's wife, Virginia.