Need Suggestions for Books and Maps

Information on books, maps, museums, and other related material
N0 02
Breyfogler

Need Suggestions for Books and Maps

Post by N0 02 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:06 am

A Death Valley newbie here hoping that I can get some suggestions for reading material. Along with friends I visited DV in early March 2013, I purchased a few books at the "tourists" places on ghost towns etc. However I really would like to know more about the history of this incredible place.

What would be your suggestions for current books available and perhaps those from days gone by that you might have to hunt for?

Also, I was wondering if you want to purchase a map or maps of DV what would you suggest getting. I looked at the US Government Site but was somewhat confused by the whole process.

I read back in this thread and picked up a couple of good suggestions already. I do want to thank you in advance for any suggestions or direction you can give me. It will be appreciated.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:48 am

Michel Diggonet 's Hiking Death Valley and Hiking Western Death Valley.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Over the past four years I have collected quite a collection of books on Death Valley and the surrounding area. Some can be found new at a reasonable price on sites such as Amazon. I have been fortunate to find some used copies either on Amazon or eBay for a pretty good price as well.

Here are some of the books I have:

Death Valley Book of Knowledge (DVBOK) by Steve Greene
Death Valley and the Amargosa, A Land Of Illusion by Richard Ligenfelter
Hiking Death Valley by Michel Digonnet
Hiking Western Death Valley National Park by Michel Digonnet
These Canyons Are Full Of Ghosts, The Last Of The Death Valley Prospectors by Emmett C. Harder
Loafing Along Death Valley Trails, A Personal Narrative of People and Places by William Caruthers
50 Years in Death Valley-Memoirs Of A Borax Man by Harry P. Gower
Geology Underfoot In Death Valley and Owens Valley by Robert P. Sharp and Allen F. Glazner
Deepest Valley: A Guide to Owens Valley, Its Roadsides and Mountain Trails by multiple authors
Death Valley SUV Trails by Roger Mitchell
Escape From Death Valley: As Told by William Lewis Manly and Other ‘49ers by Leroy Johnson

Some are better than others but they all cover various aspects of history, geology, and exploration of the area.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:54 pm

How did you acquire "Loafing Along Death Valley Trails?" I've heard about it and would like it.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Gowergulch42 wrote:How did you acquire "Loafing Along Death Valley Trails?" I've heard about it and would like it.
That's a great book. There's a few used on Amazon right now.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:22 am

Not sure if I picked it up on Amazon or eBay but it was one of those. Used copy. Pretty good read too. Sometimes you get lucky with used copies...a couple of the ones I've purchased were signed.

geonuc
Jayhawker

Post by geonuc » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:04 am

For maps, I recommend two: the National Geographic Trails Illustrated map and the Tom Harrison map. Both have held up well over the years.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Oh yeah maps...
I too use the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated and also the Benchmark California Atlas.

N0 02
Breyfogler

Post by N0 02 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:52 pm

I just cannot thank everyone enough for the input and suggestions on books and maps. Genuinely appreciated by me. The hunt is now on for some of the classics.

ETAV8R that is a pretty well stocked library you have. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Murray

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:30 am

N0 02 wrote:I just cannot thank everyone enough for the input and suggestions on books and maps. Genuinely appreciated by me. The hunt is now on for some of the classics.

ETAV8R that is a pretty well stocked library you have. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Murray
You're very welcome. Your thread actually motivated me to catalog all my books. I have accumulated my DV library from learning from others on websites and in person. This all started with a trip to the Panamints in 2007. I was along for the ride. Looking down at Striped Butte I asked what I was looking at. A friend of a friend simply stated: "Death Valley". DV is truly my favorite place to visit along with Owens Valley. To me they go hand in hand. There is so much history there and so many things to see and do it could take a lifetime. Enjoy your trips and let us know how they go. Take water and know where you're going.
Last edited by ETAV8R on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N0 02
Breyfogler

Post by N0 02 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Gowergulch42 wrote:How did you acquire "Loafing Along Death Valley Trails?" I've heard about it and would like it.
Just a heads up Gowergulch42, I went to ebay and just typed in Death Valley Books and 600 titles popped up. There is at least 4 copies of "Loafing Along" at various prices available.

Good luck with your search for the book.

Thanks again folks.

geonuc
Jayhawker

Post by geonuc » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:16 am

I recently acquired Geology of Death Valley National Park, by Marli Miller, a U of Oregon geologist. Pretty good resource, if you like geology, particularly of the Black Mountains. Some nice photos. Miller counts herself as a photographer as well as a geologist.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:27 am

geonuc wrote:I recently acquired Geology of Death Valley National Park, by Marli Miller, a U of Oregon geologist. Pretty good resource, if you like geology, particularly of the Black Mountains. Some nice photos. Miller counts herself as a photographer as well as a geologist.
Hadn't heard of that one. Not sure I will get it as I already have the Geology Underfoot book which is very thorough. It does sound interesting with the photographic take on things.

geonuc
Jayhawker

Post by geonuc » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:17 pm

ETAV8R wrote:
geonuc wrote:I recently acquired Geology of Death Valley National Park, by Marli Miller, a U of Oregon geologist. Pretty good resource, if you like geology, particularly of the Black Mountains. Some nice photos. Miller counts herself as a photographer as well as a geologist.
Hadn't heard of that one. Not sure I will get it as I already have the Geology Underfoot book which is very thorough. It does sound interesting with the photographic take on things.
Couple of other points in favor of getting it for your library: one, it's newer and two, Miller collaborated with Lauren Wright, who did some of the seminal geologic research and mapping along with his field partner Bernie Troxel. The Miller/Wright book also has some nice geologic road guides in it for all the major roads in DV. I plan on doing some of that on my next visit.

But you're right - the Geology Underfoot book is very good. I have that one, too.

DesertWonderer
Jayhawker

DV Books

Post by DesertWonderer » Sun May 12, 2013 11:52 am

I really enjoyed W.A. Chalfant's, "Death Valley: The Facts" and the WPA guide. I have re-read them a couple of times over the years.