Death Valley Escape Trail movie @ DV History Conference

Information on books, maps, museums, and other related material
David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Death Valley Escape Trail movie @ DV History Conference

Post by David_Bricker » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:55 am

I received this email from Elijah today - thought I'd pass it along:

Elijah Collard here…..I wanted to let all of you know that my documentary “The Death Valley Escape Trail: The First 60 Miles” has been selected to be shown at the Death Valley Natural History Association’s History Conference to be held Nov. 6-8 at Furnace Creek. At present they think it will be shown near the end of the first day of the conference. To attend you will need to register and the online registration is now available. The link to their website is below. Thank you for your interest in the film and helping preserve and promote the stories of Death Valley.
Click the link below:
http://dvnha.org/programs-events/histor ... dium=email

Elijah Collard
Executive Producer
“The Death Valley Escape Trail: The First 60 Miles”

PS The film continues to be available in the Death Valley bookstores and online at Amazon.com.

I saw this movie and got my copy at the premier at PSR a couple of years ago. It is very well done.

David Bricker / SYR

Desert Mouse
Jayhawker

Post by Desert Mouse » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:18 am

Hi David,

I watched this documentary last night at my gem club's (Searles Lake Gem & Mineral Society) meeting in Trona. It was a great video and explained very well the escape route. I just bought the video on Amazon. I want to do the hike now myself! Maybe this spring! :smile:

Tracy

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

So glad I found this thread and just ordered

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 am

the video DVD off Smile Amazon, so thanks for bringing this to my attention. There is so much to learn about the park currently and its history. Whenever I visit Death Valley I love the sensation of wonder mixed with overwhelm.

Desert Mouse, have you completed your planned spring hike retracing the trek followed in the video? If so, please post a report.
Last edited by Death Valley Dazed on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life begins in Death Valley

N0 02
Breyfogler

Post by N0 02 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:14 pm

I will have to get a copy. Thanks for posting the information.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

My review of The Death Valley Escape Trail

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks to you on this thread for bringing this excellent documentary to my attention. I just finished watching it twice.

I can't imagine how difficult this trek was for two legged creatures, let alone the poor four footed beasts of burden pulling heavy loads over those rocks, ruts, crags and inclines.

I wish the producers had somehow captured some Native American reactions to those pioneers traversing their ancient territory. I wonder if there are any stories passed down through the Timbisha Shoshone folks?

Here's my review, also posted at Amazon.

A dusty, sweat soaked desert hats off to Elijah Collard for rounding up so many people with a passion for the history of Death Valley. Mr. Collard has blended an informative narration with still images and motion action that keep the viewer's attention without overwhelming details. The various historians humanize the story by stirring up the flavors of the Forty Niner characters who narrowly escaped The Valley of Death.

The epilogue is as valuable as the main production because it highlights the life of Leonard Collard whose determination inspired his son, Elijah and others to not only mark The Death Valley Escape Trail but produce this exciting story for future generations to enjoy for years to come. This production is a fitting tribute to the original women, men and children who ventured through Death Valley in 1849.
Life begins in Death Valley

Aedwards27
Grubstaker

Re: My review of The Death Valley Escape Trail

Post by Aedwards27 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:Thanks to you on this thread for bringing this excellent documentary to my attention. I just finished watching it twice.

I can't imagine how difficult this trek was for two legged creatures, let alone the poor four footed beasts of burden pulling heavy loads over those rocks, ruts, crags and inclines.

I wish the producers had somehow captured some Native American reactions to those pioneers traversing their ancient territory. I wonder if there are any stories passed down through the Timbisha Shoshone folks?

Here's my review, also posted at Amazon.

A dusty, sweat soaked desert hats off to Elijah Collard for rounding up so many people with a passion for the history of Death Valley. Mr. Collard has blended an informative narration with still images and motion action that keep the viewer's attention without overwhelming details. The various historians humanize the story by stirring up the flavors of the Forty Niner characters who narrowly escaped The Valley of Death.

The epilogue is as valuable as the main production because it highlights the life of Leonard Collard whose determination inspired his son, Elijah and others to not only mark The Death Valley Escape Trail but produce this exciting story for future generations to enjoy for years to come. This production is a fitting tribute to the original women, men and children who ventured through Death Valley in 1849.

There have been some stories passed down (from speaking with one of them). Also, I recall that in a report done on the indigenous citizens of the are in the early 1900s turned up stories.