The Wild West Uncovered - The Real Virginia City

Discussion about places West of the Rockies
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

The Wild West Uncovered - The Real Virginia City

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:00 pm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FK4QCH/re ... 2693526011

Just Netflixed this fascinating documentary about Virginia City, NV and how a historian and archaeologist come together to recreate a more realistic history of the famous motherlode strike and what saloons were really like instead of those portrayed in Hollywood westerns.

The cultural ramifications of several surprise relics uncovered will open your eyes to the diversity of Virginia City.

Some of the lessons learned here could apply to some of the history of Death Valley? I believe that anyone interested in serious history of the west should see this documentary. It's not quite an hour long. If you do see it, please post your opinion/reaction here.
Life begins in Death Valley

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Re: The Wild West Uncovered - The Real Virginia City

Post by ETAV8R » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:55 am

Not seeing it on Netflix.
:bawling:

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Good catch - Amazon Prime not Netflix

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:14 pm

So try this link:
https://smile.amazon.com/Wild-West-Unco ... +uncovered

If that link does not work (because maybe it's linked to my own personal Prime account) try this link which I hope is for the general public.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... +Uncovered

Or elsewhere on the Internet search: The Wild West Uncovered

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:34 pm

I think you guys are on two different pages. Netflix or Amazon

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Sparky of SoCal wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:34 pm
I think you guys are on two different pages. Netflix or Amazon
The confusion is my fault. At first, I recollected see the show on Netflix, but I was wrong. It can only be viewed on Amazon Prime or you can buy/rent it from Amazon.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:00 pm
Some of the lessons learned here could apply to some of the history of Death Valley?
I haven’t seen the video, but, I express my opinion.

Virginia City’s culture and life represent an era of society based on and influenced large cities, especially San Francisco and New York. The era was also a time of great immigration to the United States, each national group brought their own customs with them. Saloons had their own social structure, there were saloons that served the social elite and wealthy, there were saloons that catered to ethnic groups, there were saloons down in the red light district where inhibitions were diminished with each shot of watered down rot gut.

At the time of Virginia City’s height, Death Valley was for the most part void and avoided by Caucasians. Death Valley was still wild. The majority of mining was small scale and life crude. Panamint City was the largest development, but day to day living was difficult by Virginia City’s standards. Those who had a need to hide from the law hid in and around Death Valley. Other mining efforts were small and generally stayed at the fringes, such as Chloride City, Lida and Tule Canyon, where their higher elevations were more adaptable to human life.

By the time Death Valley opened up and boomed, it was a new century and cultures had changed. Virginia City was a shadow of its former self. Though still influenced by San Francisco and New York, other factors added to changes in the way things were done. Rhyolite added a new kind of energy and brought a civilization and culture based upon new inventions, such as the automobile and other mechanized equipment, and stock exchange schemes. Exploit and get rich quick methods, though nothing new, were employed. Rhyolite represented a new lifestyle that had elements of the old but was a whole new culture. Sort of like what changes the Baby Boomer generation did to US and later world culture. Utilize many of the same things, but throw in a new energy and excitement with less work and more pleasure. Immigrants often now were of the second and third generation Americans and had adopted more American culture and less of their homeland.

As for saloons, they were the social life of any town. A man, after a day underground went to the saloon for his entertainment and social life. There often was no other choice - no television, radio, friendship or female companionship in his cabin or tent dwelling. Upstanding saloons generally lacked the violence and wonton drunkeness portrayed by Hollywood. However there were social levels among saloons. There were high society drinking parlors. There were low priced saloons, often in the red light district, where life could be dangerous. Socially tiered saloons came to Rhyolite and other Death Valley boomtowns as well. The elite went to the upscale saloons, which had more variety of entertainment; such as social functions and events. The liquor was of the best variety. Saloons where anything went often had everything happening. Liquor was of inferior and dubious quality, sometimes poisoning patrons. Patrons were often law breaking and when under the influence added to their rap sheets.

So, thus my unsolicited input, even if uneducated by watching the video.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

D.A. nailed it!

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:57 pm

D.A. Your post would serve well as an introduction to a sequel that could be called "The Wild West Uncovered - The Real Rhyolite.'

Your points about immigration, culture, tiers of society etc. are spot on. I think that you will still enjoy the video if only for how they learned about and then re-wrote some of the local histories by analyzing the artifacts that they found. The list of mining innovations created during the era is also impressive.

Thanks again for your timely and wise comments.