Australia in 5500 miles

Discussion about places West of the Rockies
netllama
Grubstaker

Australia in 5500 miles

Post by netllama » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:03 pm

After a 5 year hiatus, I've returned from another month long trip to Australia. Australia is west of the Rockies, right? If you keep going west long enough, everywhere is west of the Rockies!

This time, I spent most of the trip in Western Australia, which is nearly twice as large as Alaska. The trip itself was another spectacular adventure. My teenage son & I flew to Perth (on the Indian Ocean coast), rented a very well equipped Toyota Hilux 4x4 camper, and made our way up to Darwin (at the 'top end' of the continent), driving about 5500 miles between June 21 & July 14. We saw deserts, ocean, reefs, mountains, jungle, grassy plains, and everything in between. We experienced temperatures ranging from 39F to 92F. And in any great adventure, there was a fair share of mishaps, including jelly fish stings, flat tires, transmission problems, kangaroo strikes, and lost fuel caps.

What follows are some of the photographic highlights:

ImageHutt Lagoon

ImageEntrance to Cathedral Gorge (Purnululu NP)

ImageRoad to Mitchell Falls (87km of washboard, after 450km of dirt, sand & dust)

ImageMcMinns Lagoon

ImageEchidna Chasm

ImageNingaloo Coast locals

ImageNambung Pinnacles

ImageChockstones in Echidna chasm

ImageDenham (Sharks Bay) sunset

ImageBungle Bungle range

ImageMitchell Falls (nearest traffic light is about 500km away)

ImageNorth Ningaloo cape

ImageLake Ballard

ImageBungle Bungle hike

ImageKarijini gorge

ImageNambung NP and the Indian Ocean

ImageCape Peron, western most point in Australia (Francois Peron NP)

ImageShell Beach (Shark Bay World Heritage area)

ImageLake Ballard

ImageMini Palms canyon

ImageMount Nameless (yes, really)

ImageBungle Bungle range

ImageFrancois Peron NP (42km road)

ImageEastern Gibb River road

ImageMitchell Falls hike

ImageGibb River road

ImageCharles Knife Road, Cape Range NP

ImageGibb Rive Road

ImagePurnululu NP

ImageKarijini NP sunrise

ImageMitchell River NP

ImagePentocost River crosses the Gibb River Road

ImageMitchell River NP road

ImageNingaloo coast sunset

For anyone interested in reading a much more detailed trip report, see HERE. A Google map showing everywhere we went is available HERE.
Last edited by netllama on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Re: Australia in 5500 miles

Post by TrailHound » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:02 am

There is more to Australia than I knew. Great pictures, thanks for posting!

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:57 pm

Wow. Stunning photos! Makes me wish I could visit Australia.
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:27 pm

The only place you mentioned that I have been to is Purnululu NP (Bungle Bungles)! :biggrin: That was in 2008. I spent a full day there, and I think I did the same hikes.

My recent (May-June of this year) trip began and ended in Darwin. At least the driving part. And I concluded that if I return, I won't visit the top end again! Ugh, that humidity was killing me. And the temperature was still getting up to or nearly to 90F at the end of June! Didn't feel like winter, that's for sure.

netllama
Grubstaker

Post by netllama » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Candace_66 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:27 pm
The only place you mentioned that I have been to is Purnululu NP (Bungle Bungles)! :biggrin: That was in 2008. I spent a full day there, and I think I did the same hikes.

My recent (May-June of this year) trip began and ended in Darwin. At least the driving part. And I concluded that if I return, I won't visit the top end again! Ugh, that humidity was killing me. And the temperature was still getting up to or nearly to 90F at the end of June! Didn't feel like winter, that's for sure.
Punululu was possibly my favorite part of the entire trip. Such amazing scenery and great hiking too. Although that road into the park was the worst road of the entire trip (and that's after doing over 1000km across the Gibb River Road).

Darwin was much more pleasant by the time I got there (last week). However, I do remember it being much more humid when I was there 5 years ago, so perhaps I was just lucky this time.

I'd like to return to Australia again some day. Its a huge country, and I've barely scratched the surface (despite driving over 10k miles in 2 trips). No clue when I'll get to it though. Currently have trips booked for the rest of 2018, and planned out through the end of 2019.