Crystal Peak Sparkles At Sunrise And Sunset

Discussion about places West of the Rockies
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Crystal Peak Sparkles At Sunrise And Sunset

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun May 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Forty miles southwest of Nevada's Great Basin National Park lies Crystal Peak just inside of the western border of Utah and twenty miles south of Highway 50. At sunrise and sunset, you will see why it's named Crystal Peak. I took the grandkids for a wonderful exploration adventure on April 21, 2020 for isolation from the Corona Virus and we saw no other human beings.

Life begins in Death Valley

Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: Crystal Peak Sparkles At Sunrise And Sunset

Post by Kauri » Sun May 03, 2020 5:54 pm

Wonderful video, thank you for posting! I had been hoping to get back to the great basin area this summer (possibly visiting the west side of the national park), but I don't think it's going to happen at this point

I'm curious, does the nice dog (maybe a golden retriever?) at 2:50 in the video belong to your grandkids? I foster for our local guide dog organization, but haven't been able to take a dog since the shelter at home started.
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue May 05, 2020 2:14 pm

Nice! Do you know anything about the geology?

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat May 09, 2020 6:55 am

Kauri wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:54 pm
I had been hoping to get back to the great basin area this summer (possibly visiting the west side of the national park).
I'm curious, does the nice dog (maybe a golden retriever?) at 2:50 in the video belong to your grandkids?
Thanks, Kauri, and that cute pup is my daughter's new addition which she says is a poodle retriever mix, named Charlie. Great Basin was my favorite National Park until I discovered Death Valley and that bristlecone pines were also on Telescope Peak. I've been on top of Wheeler Peak x3 and even slept overnight once before circumnavigating the ridgeline around the glacier and bristlecone forest. I should dig up my old images of that excursion and create a video. So, I hope you do make it back to that magical place!

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat May 09, 2020 7:04 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:14 pm
Nice! Do you know anything about the geology?
Thanks, Geek, and I'm embarrassed to say that I know nothing of the geology of Crystal Peak except that it dazzles the eye and mind at sunrise and sunset because it's whiteness stands in such stark contrast to the rest of its immediate environs and that of the Great Basin in general. The texture of the stone is very rough and requires gloves to protect the hands when scrambling. The cracks, holes, and fissures are also captivating.

With the grandkids in tow, I did not even contemplate scaling the peak. However, I did detect a possible route to the top via the north face up the main fissure line leading to a lone tall pine tree near the summit. I have not researched routes taken by other climbers as I prefer to pretend that I'm the first one to make such an attempt. (Silly, but still a fun way to keep things deceptively fresh in my rapidly calcifying mind. :lol:

I'm not sure if/when I'll return to scale the peak?

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:05 pm

It's a volcanic unit called the Tunnel Spring Tuff, erupted from the nearby Tunnel Spring Caldera 35.4 million years ago, as determined by potassium-argon dating. Crystal Mountain appears to be the largest outcrop of this rock that I can find. Very cool!
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat May 09, 2020 3:49 pm

Gowergulch42 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:05 pm
Crystal Mountain appears to be the largest outcrop of this rock that I can find. Very cool!
Andrew, I sure do appreciate you stopping by and adding your expertise here! If you ever enjoy the experience of Crystal Peak make sure you catch it at sunrise on a clear morning because it almost seems to have its own source of light. The other cool thing I did not realize until sunset was that 40 miles away to the west lies the towering peaks of Great Basin National Park. I was lucky enough to have clear skies and a clear view prior to the fire season and blowing dust season.

I bet that you would enjoy scaling the peak and examine up close the erosion anomalies, fractures, fissures, mineral composites, etc.