Great Basin NP

Discussion about places West of the Rockies
Dave
Jayhawker

Great Basin NP

Post by Dave » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Anybody familiar with Great Basin NP? Would like to take a trip out there and am looking for some Ideas on what to see if you have 2 or 3 days. -Dave
Nature is indifferent to our love, but never unfaithful. ~Ed Abbey

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:04 am

What do you like to do?

Do you plan to stay in the park, or see the area?

The park offers alot of Hiking. Leman caves are well worth seeing, IF you like caves.

Dave
Jayhawker

Great Basin NP

Post by Dave » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:08 pm

We like to Hike, backpack, 4wd explore,mtn bike.The caves sound great. We bring our dog so I know the rules in the Park but if there are areas to explore just outside the park that would work as well.-Dave

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:02 pm

http://www.nps.gov/grba/

The Government's webpage on the park.

Stop at the Chamber of Commerce in Ely on your way through, should be some info or pamphlets on the park also.

If you want to stay overnight in Ely, the Nevada Hotel is a great place. Steak & eggs, $4.99 anytime. Great food!
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

SteveS

Re: Great Basin NP

Post by SteveS » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:48 am

Dave wrote:We like to Hike, backpack, 4wd explore,mtn bike......
Your in luck, there is plenty of hikes there. Depending on time of year you should be able to get some real solitude.

These are a few roads, but that is limited.

Backpacking and Mtn biking I don’t know about.

The surrounding has years worth of back roads to explore. If you take up Dave advice and end up in Ely, they have a good train museum. They even have a steam train ride, I’ve not rode it, but have seen it rolling along. If the Nevada Hotel is the place I’ve been in, it is neat. Oozes history. :cool:

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:04 pm

SteveS wrote:The surrounding has years worth of back roads to explore.
Lots of ghost towns in the surrounding area.
SteveS wrote:If you take up Dave advice and end up in Ely, they have a good train museum.
They run both diesel and steam on special runs. I don't know their schedule, but I'm sure they run most weekends. I'm sure if you Google "Nevada Northern" or the Nevada Northern Railroad, you will likely find their official website or something similar. You should be able to get info on rates, dates.
SteveS wrote:If the Nevada Hotel is the place I’ve been in, it is neat. Oozes history. :cool:
That be the one! They even have their own "Hollywood Walk of Fame" style sidewalk out front, with all the celebrities that have stayed at the hotel over the decades. Lots of historical items in and around the building. Many Harley-Davidson, custom Hondas and other bikes parked atop the slot machines.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Dave
Jayhawker

Great Basin NP

Post by Dave » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 pm

OK you guys,this sounds like my kind of place!Thanks for the info. As usual you two (and many other knowledgeable folks)here at DV.net are a great source of info. Now all I need is more time.I think I need to quit my job ;-)

Toysx2
Jayhawker

Post by Toysx2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:01 am

Dave wrote:OK you guys,this sounds like my kind of place!Thanks for the info. As usual you two (and many other knowledgeable folks)here at DV.net are a great source of info. Now all I need is more time.I think I need to quit my job ;-)
I took early retirement just for that reason!!

I have several photos posted up here of old mines, charcoal ovens etc. that I was able to see on a quick trip to the Ely, Pioche area in 2006. Really an interesting area!!

http://www.personal.riverusers.com/~parkse/oldmines.htm

Dave
Jayhawker

Great Basin NP

Post by Dave » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:49 pm

Those are great pictures! I haven't seen kilns anywhere else except in Death Valley. Definitely going to pay this area a visit.I'll have 30 yrs with at&t in Oct. so maybe I'll pull the plug :idea:

greatbasinguide
Grubstaker

Post by greatbasinguide » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:09 pm

Camp at the high campground, lush Aspen forests, hike to the summit of Wheeler peak, the highest mountain in Nevada but not Nevada's highest mountain, a puzzle for you.

You can also hike to a natural arch.

Mt. Moriah across the way is about as isolated as you can find anywhere, and scenic.

If you need a campground closer to Ely, Cave Lake is very nice and has showers (I think)

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:17 pm

greatbasinguide wrote:... hike to the summit of Wheeler peak, the highest mountain in Nevada but not Nevada's highest mountain, a puzzle for you.
Technacalities ... ;-)
D.A. Wright

Dave
Jayhawker

Great Basin NP

Post by Dave » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm going to have to sleep on that puzzle :???:

greatbasinguide
Grubstaker

Post by greatbasinguide » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:29 pm

I like to stump my Nevada History students with it, some have figured it out, some not:) :idea:

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:48 pm

Answer - Wheeler is the highest single mountain in the state. Boundary Peak is simply a pimple on the shoulder of Mt. Montgomery, which is in California.
D.A. Wright

greatbasinguide
Grubstaker

Post by greatbasinguide » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:21 pm

Well done, I leave out the pimple part, just tell the little munchkins that Nevada's highest Peak, Boundary Peak is not entirely in Nevada, so it isn't the highest peak in Nevada.

A quibble, but gets their minds aworkin'