NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days off and on starting 10/9 while some forum software modifications are made.

Kalalau Trail (Kauai, Hawaii) Jan 2014

Discussion about places West of the Rockies
SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Kalalau Trail (Kauai, Hawaii) Jan 2014

Post by SteveH » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:21 pm

In January of 2014, I did a 17 hour and 40 minute complete day hike of the Kalalau Trail in Kauai, Hawaii. It was an incredible experience and beautiful day for hiking. I put together my largest trip report yet for this hike as it was such a great day. Because we loved Kauai so much and I enjoyed hiking the Kalalau Trail, we are planning to return to Hawaii in May to do some hikes on the Big Island.

Kalalau Trail (Kauai, Hawaii)--

http://www.panamintcity.com/hawaii/kaua ... trail.html

alluvialfan
Grubstaker

Post by alluvialfan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:34 am

Great Report Steve!! Write-up, photos!! Congrats on doing the entire hike.

I may be going to Kauai later this year or next, with my Aunt & Uncle (their son, daughter-in-law, their kids, and her kin live there), and I plan to hike most of the trip. It would be my very first trip to Hawaiian Islands. I can see now that it would be well worth just doing a portion of the Kalalau Trail, as it looks incredible to whole way.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:54 am

Excellent report, as usual! I'm sure future hikers of the Kalalau Trail will appreciate your detailed information and all the photos of the scary spots—I doubt I'd feel comfortable on either Crawler's Ledge or the Eroded Cliffs. A very impressive hike to have done all in one day!

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:02 pm

I'm glad you both enjoyed the report. Alluvial, there are a lot of other good shorter hikes on Kauai such as the Kukui Trail. Also, many people do a portion of the Kalalau Trail (1/5 or 1/2) and then do a side hike up to either Hanakapiai Falls or Hanakoa Falls. You can google both and get some options for those two hikes. Those are more realistic hikes on the Kalalau Trail then getting all the way to the end.

I'm looking forward to hiking on the Big Island this May and checking out the Ka'u Desert. I noticed there was a formation there called The Great Crack, which was interesting because I had informally nicknamed one of the places I'm visiting in Death Valley on my upcoming trip The Crack.

Also, we are doing our 3rd trip to Sochi, Russia later this year and I'm hoping to do some more extensive hiking in the Caucasus Mountains... perhaps a summit bid of Mount Fisht.

alluvialfan
Grubstaker

Post by alluvialfan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks for all the info Steve. I've got to get started researching Kauai now, for sure. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. If the relatives want to visit other islands, I should have hikes planned there too. Thanks again for the tips.

Hope you have a really nice trip in May.
And the trip to Caucasus Mts. sounds like a very unique opportunity.

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:31 pm

Thanks, alluvial. We got our tickets for May so we are very excited to be returning to Hawaii so quickly, this time to see and hike the Big Island. I think my main two Big Island hikes will be the Muliwai Trail to Waimanu Valley (an epic day hike to a hard-to-reach valley with a pretty waterfall) and a summit of Mauna Loa. One other hike I plan to get to is a hike to flowing lava if possible.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:46 pm

Hey Steve, I finally had a chance to read through your report and enjoyed all the photos. Also liked the intro text about all the obstacles and reading about how you packed it all into one day – sheesh! I've never been to or really thought about Hawaii before, but this definitely piqued my interest ... looks like a once in a lifetime experience. Well done!

Morrie
Grubstaker

Post by Morrie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:55 am

I just read this. I'm amazed you did it in a day! That's really an accomplishment. I'm surprised you had time to take any pictures at all.

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:57 am

Thanks, Morrie. That was quite a hike and it took so long because I took my time and enjoyed it and took so many photos. Two of my friends are about to leave town from here in Sonoma and travel out to do the same hike, but as an overnight backpack. And that's a much better way to enjoy the trail.

TacoLand, thanks for your response as well. I just noticed it now.

I should note that we did not end up going to the Big Island in May as stated in my previous post. We bumped that trip to next February because I'm preparing to do some canyon hiking in Crete, Greece, which I will post about in another thread once it gets underway.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:42 pm

I assume you're going in the Samarian Gorge on Crete, that's classic. Don't know about other stuff but I'm sure there's a lot more info than when I lived there 40 years ago!

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:02 pm

Lived there? Sounds awesome. Tell me more in the other thread I'm posting about my trip.