The Badlands and Cattle Drives......

Discussion about places West of the Rockies
Tobyc
Jayhawker

The Badlands and Cattle Drives......

Post by Tobyc » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:20 pm

Has anyone done any Off-Roading or Overlanding in North or South Dakota,
Nebraska, Kansas or Oklahoma; be interested in hearing your experiences?

Also, be interested in any reference material such as Trail Guides, Points of Interest or History Guides; anything found informative and useful in driving the backroads that you can suggest or recommend?
Thanks...![/b]

donutnational
Jayhawker

Post by donutnational » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:59 am

I rode a Mt. bike on 100+ miles of the Maah-Daah-Hey trail in ND at the end of July. We took 4 days and used Dakota Cyclery to haul our gear in a trailer each day. We literally saw nobody on the trail until crossing the highway on the last day. July is not the best time to do it as it was warm but by leaving early each morning it was not too bad. It was a good experience. Almost all rideable and almost all single track. Rain would leave it unrideable due to Bentonite soil so planning way in advance is a bit of a crap shoot. There were dirt roads servicing the oil fields all over the area.

Tobyc
Jayhawker

BADLANDS and CATTLE DRIVES

Post by Tobyc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:47 pm

donutnational wrote:I rode a Mt. bike on 100+ miles of the Maah-Daah-Hey trail in ND at the end of July. We took 4 days and used Dakota Cyclery to haul our gear in a trailer each day. We literally saw nobody on the trail until crossing the highway on the last day. July is not the best time to do it as it was warm but by leaving early each morning it was not too bad. It was a good experience. Almost all rideable and almost all single track. Rain would leave it unrideable due to Bentonite soil so planning way in advance is a bit of a crap shoot. There were dirt roads servicing the oil fields all over the area.

Hi there.
Yeah, my SPECIALIZED RockHopper has been hanging from the rafters in the garage for ten years now; unfortunately my Mt. biking days are past! I'm talking 4X4 two-track now!

I checked out the Maah Daah Hey Trail; it is, as you say, definitely a non-motorized single track; 144 miles of some varied and beautiful country! Kind of country I would like to see and enjoy on 4-wheels! I definitely envy you your adventure!

July may have been warm, but it may be a little late in the year now to head to the Dakota's. Talked to a lady at N. Dakota Parks yesterday; she wouldn't commit to anything for September, except to say: "can be a bit iffy"; then said: "we can possibly see...snow, early as October".! Come November, I see the...temps plummet! So this year is probably out now?

Anyway, never knew of the Maah Daah Hey country; that's given me some thoughts and ideas ...hope there are some two-tracks across it; appreciate your interest and thoughts...thanks!
Last edited by Tobyc on Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donutnational
Jayhawker

Post by donutnational » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Every place we camped was accessible by motor vehicle and with all of the oil in the area there are roads all over. Don't know much more than that but I can't imagine that you couldn't experience alot of solitude and see alot of wildlife driving around the area. Get that bike from the rafters throw it in your truck and ride it a little after a long day of dirt road driving. We saw elk, 1 badger, many deer and antelope, horny toads, rattlers, eagles, various grouse species, falcons and 3 buffaloes. It's definitely a cool area and I hope to return again.

Tobyc
Jayhawker

Post by Tobyc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:22 pm

Well, it's interesting that vehicles can access the same campsites located along the bike trail, that's good, in a way; but I'm sure not interested in following tourists and oil-tanker trucks all over the countryside either...sounds like the solitude and wildlife you mention could be a real problem?
Yeah...! I hear you about the bike, it's a good thought; but it could only be a very "little ride"! It's not so much that...I can't still ride; it's that my...dog doesn't even know how...!? He'd have a helluva time keeping up...!!! I would like to see that country when the flowers are bloom; figure I've probably got half a year now to research and plan on it...! It definitely has my interest!