Wild Horses and Bighorn Sheep in Nevada

Discussion about places West of the Rockies
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Wild Horses and Bighorn Sheep in Nevada

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:51 pm

On my way from Burning Man September 2016 in the Black Rock Desert to Death Valley I happened upon a herd of wild horses and later a small herd of Bighorns. https://youtu.be/U6eJqnpxF_U
Life begins in Death Valley

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:55 pm

Few years ago, November, a bit northwest of Burning Man at Sheldon Reserve I say a herd of Pronghorn maybe a 100 of them. That area shows proof that wild horses destroy the watering holes that the native mammals need.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Agreed how the horses destroy the environment

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:17 pm

My wife and I own seven horses but I still believe they should be completely removed from the open lands in the west. They are fun to see in the wild but they are just another invasive species we humans have polluted the environment with. The same for the burros,sheep and cattle. Keep them away from the wilds in their proper domesticated places. Let the mule deer, bighorn sheep, antelope return and balance themselves out like the old times.

I am surprised we don't have a feral dog problem sweeping the west. Or maybe we do and I just don't know about it.

Being honest, i am a feral creature myself and don't belong in Death Valley polluting with my auto emissions, stinking the place up with my own methane and waste, leaving my footprints for miles in the outback and sucking water out of the aquifer with which to drink, bathe and cool down.

This lovely planet would be better off without me but since I'm here for some unknown reason and love nature I am heading back to my favorite national park as soon as possible.
Life begins in Death Valley