Elizabeth Lake California- history- anyone know of any???

Discussion about places West of the Rockies
cetrov
Breyfogler

Elizabeth Lake California- history- anyone know of any???

Post by cetrov » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:52 pm

I moved to Elizabeth Lake in 1999. I love the place but I don't find much history on the location. I have read some mentions of it in the history T. Vazquez but that is about all I can find. I know there was a stagecoach route that went through here. The old stagecoach building is still standing.
One of the old hotels is still in Threepoints and the old Rock House is down the street that dates back to the 1800's. But I just can't seem to find much information.

There are stories of a monster that lived in the lake that was killed in Az. at some point.
In the 60's there was a club that was susposed to be pretty big, the ruins are still here.

any help would be great.

thanks

Kirk

ccv
Death Valley Resident

Post by ccv » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:17 pm

Kirk, thought I would look around in my books at home and see what I could find for you. Mainly just mentions in pioneer histories, but perhaps this will be a start for you to do some more research using the info I did find. Here's my notes and the books I got them from:
Lake Elizabeth Tidbits

Elizabeth Lake - there are at least 10 Elizabeth Lakes in the state of California. Elizabeth Lake in Los Angeles County is the oldest, mentioned in 1853 in the Pacific Railroad Reports as Lake Elizabeth - this is according to Gudde’s California Place Names.

Stagecoaches going north from San Bernardino stopped at Elizabeth Lake. These stagecoaches were started sometime in 1861, and were a part of the New Orleans - San Francisco stage route. The route went from Cajon, above Llano, past Gale Henry’s above Littlerock to the Cienega, then pas Barrel Springs and Harold or Alpine as it was known then. Old red buildings surrounded with eucalyptus trees with lettering Alpine Springs were seen up until the 1980’s apparently. The post offie, hotel, and stage stop was all here. The road went across the floor of the resrvoir to Lansing plae or Johnson’s Dairy, then down to Ana Verde Valley to the City Rancho then into Leona Valley and on out to Elizabeth Lake, over the Tejon and on to San Francisco.

In a book published by The Kern Antelope Historical Society entitled Antelope Valley Pioneers:

John Munz traded his holdings in Palmdale for 160 acres of undeveloped brush land at Elizabeth Lake. The land was only reachable by cattle trails. He and his family traveled in an old wagon with four bony but good horses and camped under a tree. It was just John and his 8 children , as his wife had died in childbirth They dismantled a Palmdale house and moved it to Elizabeth Lake. The house was then moved to a museum site at Tropico Gold Mine. The house was operated as the post office for a time, with Gertrude W. Munz, the wife of Elias Munz, one of the original 8 children, as post master. The post office was also known as the Roosevelt Post Office just before a new stone building became the Lake Hughes Post Office, which serves the entire area now.

John Munz himself was not a very good farmer, and the family probably would not have survived if Illinois relatives had not shipped out supplies such as molasses and flour. Munz’s sons worked on wheat and barley farms in the west part of the valley and made a few bucks here and there. The Munz Brothers Ranch was formed with extensive cattle and grain production going on for many years. John Munz himself went on to beome a Justice o the Peace and was honored y the LA County Supervisors with a camp John Munz Camp named after him. The Munz Ranch became the headquarters for the LADWP during construction for the aqueduct, and during the construction of Shea Castle. The Old Butterfield Trail from Fairmont to San Francisquito Canyon passed through the ranch and can still be seen today.

The Munz Ranch is still active in Antelope Valley and operated by sons and grandsons of Eric Munz, one of the original pioneer siblings. Eliaz Munz had two daughters who developed and operated Munz Resort which still operates as a member park of a national recreational vehicle park organization. Ruth Etz, Elias daughter, still lived on the original ranch as of the 1984, granddaughter Ruthann would commute from her home in Glendale to the ranch. John Damann is one of the grandsons of Elias and is a fire suppression technician living at Lake Elizabeth ranch club, a subdivision development bordering southeast portion of the lake.

John Munz eldest daughter, Ingborg, married Clifford Holland and started a pioneer turkey ranch in Antelope Valley.They developed the Holland strain of white turkey.

The Munz Ranch was used by William Mulholland to make a telephone call, at his headquarters there. Trying to describe new crawler tractors made by Holt Mfg. Co. of San Leandro and how they were working successfully instead of the camels which had previously been imported to do the work, he replied “Why they are running all over the desert - just like a bunch of caterpillars!â€￾ The name Caterpillar was coined at this time - at list his is what Eliz Munz passed on to his family.

In a book called Historic Spots in California published by Stanford University Press original copyright 1932, the book I have is the 3rd printing 1958: La Casa de Miguel Ortiz, a long one story adobe stands at the left of the old stage roadh that came up from San Francisquito Canyon and passed Lake Elizabeth on the way to Tejohn. The Lake,a by the way, was known originally as La Laguna de Chico Lopez by the Spaniards. This adobe was said to be the the first building built at the lake, and was built by a muleteer Miguel Ortiz, who was also an employee of General Beale. Beale apparently gave him the land. This land is also part of the original grazing lands of Chicl Lopez in the 1840’s and was a haunt of Tiburcio Vasquez.

Not far from the Ortiz adobe was the Andrada Stage Station, built of adobe, which at the time of the book writing still stood where old Fort Tejon Road entered San Francisquito Canyon southward from Lake Elizabeth.
Cecile
---------------
Well behaved women rarely make history-
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
www.explorehistoricalif.com

Kabuti
Jayhawker

Re: Elizabeth Lake California- history- anyone know of any???

Post by Kabuti » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:51 pm

According to a letter i have from my g-g grandfather Elizabeth lake which you are inquiring about was named by my g-g-g grandfather who moved there after the gold rush. His name was James Hefner & named the lake after his sister. My g-g grandfather (Thomas Delano) married his daugter Margarita. Now his father, also Thomas Delano had one of the Butterfield Stage stations nearby @ the mouth of Bouquet Canyon until the railroad came through about 1876? As the young Thomas learned to operate the telegraph in what was then known as the "Delano Station" the final couple of years it was in use. I don't know how much land tbey had there but they ranched, grew orchards, apiaries, sold real estate etc. In the area. Wagons were hauled up the mountain with several teams & at the top they felled a tree & tied to back of wagon as a drag going back down to use as a brake. San Francisquito canyon was mentioned also. I'm not familiar w the area but T. Delano passed away @ Saugus in 1953 etc.