On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Plant Identification

Environmental topics about Death Valley
Morrie
Grubstaker

Plant Identification

Post by Morrie » Mon May 29, 2017 6:51 am

I've gotten pretty good at identifying DV wildflower over the years, but this one I saw last year stumps me. Does anyone have an idea?

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Flower ID?

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue May 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Sorry, have no idea. Whatever the name of this flower is I hope it does justice to its beauty.

What location, elevation and date did you take this? I've never seen one like it. Thanks for sharing.
Life begins in Death Valley

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Wed May 31, 2017 7:47 am

Here's my guess: Beaked spiny polygala (aka, Notch beaked milkwort) - scientific name Polygala heterorhyncha. LINK: http://calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_que ... ecnum=6731 You were probably near Chloride City when you saw the plant. If not, it would be interesting to know where you found it.

Morrie
Grubstaker

Post by Morrie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Yes! We did indeed see this at Chloride City, in several places. What was confusing to me was this plant had no apparent leaves, just pointy stems and flowers, but the photos online showed little leaves.