On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Notice: There were some email issues discovered. If you registered but have not received your registration email and/or you attempted to change your password, please use the 'Contact Us' link here or at the bottom of every page and supply us with your details.

rangers erased graffiti bottom of Ubehebe Crater

Environmental topics about Death Valley
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

rangers erased graffiti bottom of Ubehebe Crater

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Just when I see evidence of humanity advancing I come across something like this:

https://www.facebook.com/search/posts/? ... adventures
Life begins in Death Valley

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Re: rangers erased graffiti bottom of Ubehebe Crater

Post by TrailHound » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:55 am

Nothing comes up on the Facebook page about Death Valley. I'm not on Facebook. So, I don't know if something appears if you log in. Can you post a picture? Thanks!

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Re: rangers erased graffiti bottom of Ubehebe Crater

Post by TacoLand » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:46 am

Copy & pasted from Death Valley National Park's Facebook Page

Graffiti be gone! Park rangers erased graffiti from the bottom of Ubehebe Crater this past week. Unknown vandals scratched large symbols and letters into the crater's mud bottom. The marks would likely have been erased by the next significant rainfall, but that can be a long wait in Death Valley.
Ubehebe Crater is a maar—or steam explosion—volcano in northern Death Valley National Park. Geologists believe it may have erupted most recently only a few hundred years ago, making it an active volcano.

The site is sacred to the Timbisha Shoshone tribe, who call it Tem-pin-tta Wo’sah, meaning Coyote’s Basket. Ubehebe’s dramatic beauty makes it a popular destination for park visitors.

It’s also an active research site. NASA’s Dr. Rosalba Bonaccorsi studies sediment in the bottom of Ubehebe Crater to understand information collected by the Mars rover.

Park employees ran a water hose from a tanker in the parking lot about 600 feet to the bottom of the crater. Park staff then sprayed water over the dried mud floor. When the pools of water dried up, the graffiti had disappeared and the natural color and patterns of the crater had returned. This method was used instead of raking, which would have been less labor intensive, but would have encouraged invasion by nonnative weeds.
Including drive time, the project took 7 park employees 9 hours to complete. Anyone with information about the vandals is encouraged to contact the park. (Photos/NPS)