Pot Bust in DV

Environmental topics about Death Valley
Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Pot Bust in DV

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 am

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nati ... ornia/amp/

They get the weed out way faster than the burros.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Maybe the burros are eating the pot?

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Pot farmers in the wilderness don't give a damn about "leaving no trace". They take their crop and money and run and leave us with the cleanup. Thanks, illegal growers for giving legitimate cannabis users a bad name. Several years ago there was a big bust on growers up on Hunter Mountain.
Life begins in Death Valley

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Re: Pot Bust in DV

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Interesting, thanks.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Pot Bust in DV

Post by wbdeford » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:44 am

A Facebook discussion precipitated an inquiry into the Hanaupah Canyon bust. The Ranger in charge of the investigation emailed me about it yesterday. (He asked me not to share his name.) He said their biggest concern now is about the safety of the water because the growers were using Carbofuran as a pesticide.

Personally, I will probably continue to drink the water, because I was there in April (before the bust), and drank probably 4 gallons of it and noticed no difference in taste and suffered no ill effects. Still, as with the Hantavirus, I think it wise to pass on that the concern is there. I will be looking into filtration options. (If anyone knows what filters are able to eliminate that kind of contaminant, please share!)

The ranger's actual message to me:

"The Marijuana grow site was located in the South Fork of Hanaupah. The grow is linked to DTO (Drug Trafficking Organizations) and sadly this has been a far too common occurrence in the Park and surrounding BLM and Forest Service land. Right now the main concern is the safety of the water due to the presence of some really nasty chemicals that the growers were using. Carbofuran was found in the site and is a highly toxic substance that is harmful to humans and wildlife alike. The area is still be monitored for any further illegal activity and I am hoping that there are no additional issues in Hanaupah. We are monitoring the water in Hanaupah for any contamination. The park will be putting signs up warning that the water may not be safe to drink in that canyon."