Death Valley Geology

Environmental topics about Death Valley
Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Death Valley Geology

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:04 am

I have no idea why Gowergulch42 did not share with this site this very informative presentation he did for a Oregon something or another rock people group. This guy if I remember right, correct me if I'm wrong at times has a hard time keeping his Jeep shinny side up but I think he is smart he understands why Death Valley is what it is. He can also find a way for me to understand it. Give it a look see would ya.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Re: Death Valley Geology

Post by Gowergulch42 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:59 pm

Every section of this presentation could have been easily expanded into an hour presentation of its own! I greatly expanded my own understanding of some complicated features, and had to cut out a lot of stuff that I could have waffled on about for hours.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Post by bluegreen kayak » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:22 pm

Thank you Sparky for posting this, and to Andrew for giving this talk. I can't say I understood everything, but if I keep listening to this type of information, I do start picking it up. It delighted me that after watching some Great Courses talks I knew what a pluton is and what subduction looks like. Death Valley is an amazing place.

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:22 am

I had a chart with the different time periods and life forms illustrated while he talked it helped me to put things in some sort of perceptive.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:41 am

These time spans are so abstract; it's very difficult to try and explain them or make them seem real. Historical Geology was an entire course I took a few years ago, just about the history of the earth and trying to grasp these timelines.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com