Mojave Rattlesnake

Environmental topics about Death Valley
RL
Grubstaker

Post by RL » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:24 am

ahamacav wrote: http://www.alongtheway.org/rattlesnakes/venomous.html
Thanks RL! Great link.
You are welcome.

For those not up-to-speed on Nevada's geography and cartography, this link can provide beaucoup detailed maps that reveal Nevada's County Boundaries
( referenced in the rattlesnake population distribution article above )

Also, this site is a great resource for accurate & free hi-rez ( some are huge files) Nevada Road Maps:

http://www.nevadadot.com/traveler/maps/statemaps/
Rats...Desert Rats...Rats

Tracker
Jayhawker

Post by Tracker » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:52 pm

With so many people moving critters around there's no telling what you might find in a given place. Don't count on a book if you need to tell a doctor what kind of snake bit you.

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Post by ahamacav » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:00 pm

Tracker wrote:With so many people moving critters around there's no telling what you might find in a given place. Don't count on a book if you need to tell a doctor what kind of snake bit you.
Not that at all, I just like learning about this stuff.
Visit my web site, everyday, ... all day long - http://digital-desert.com/

Tracker
Jayhawker

Post by Tracker » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:15 pm

10-4. I just think it's worth knowing and sharing that the antidote for most rattlers will do you no good whatsoever if you're hit by a mojave. I work outdoors and I live and work in an overlap zone where both may be found. :read:

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Post by ahamacav » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:41 am

Tracker wrote:10-4. I just think it's worth knowing and sharing that the antidote for most rattlers will do you no good whatsoever if you're hit by a mojave. I work outdoors and I live and work in an overlap zone where both may be found. :read:
We don't have them around here anymore. I see a few greens in the foothills. Was kind of surprised not to see them on the general list for DVNP.

greatbasinguide
Grubstaker

The

Post by greatbasinguide » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:20 pm

The only guy I personally know who was bitten by a rattlesnake said the shots hurt worse than the snakebite.

RL
Grubstaker

Post by RL » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:02 pm

I read an account of a gentleman in AZ who was moving a water bowl in his green's container and was struck by one fang. He immediately drove himself to the hospital. Within 15 minutes he was unconcious and remained that for for 10 days. 54 vials of anti-venom later he is alive and well. Read the entire story yourself here: http://www.texas-venomous.com/news/coch ... bites.html

Turn up your speakers :D

http://www.californiaherps.com/sounds/rattles.mp3

Northern Mojave rattlesnakes are nothing to mess with, nor take lightly.

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:13 pm

RL wrote:
Northern Mojave rattlesnakes are nothing to mess with, nor take lightly.
So it sounds like I made the right choice not to estimate the length of that baby Mohave I took the picture by putting my shoe next to it for comparision! :twisted:

David Bricker / SYR

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Post by ahamacav » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:56 pm

RL wrote: Northern Mojave rattlesnakes are nothing to mess with, nor take lightly.
On a lighter note;

One of the reasons I moved up here was that back in the olden days, one of my buddies' Mom lived in a cabin out on a mesa nearby. Pretty nice place she had built out in back of a smaller cabin that her father-in-law had homesteaded way, way back. Anyhow, in the evening we'd sit in the little cabin, get insanely wasted and then go drive drunk and shoot inanimate stuff. In the morning, we'd drag our dehydrated, hungover, pitiful selves up to the main cabin for breakfast and listen to my friend's Mom tell us stories about the desert-

One of the many stories she told us was about how the Mojave Green came to be.

There was rattlesnakes all over the place. Mean ones, with nasty tempers and bad attitudes. Hell, they'd eat a good-sized coyote whether they were hungry or not. Their venom was nasty also, but not any worse than a normal rattler. Since their venom was bad, but not potent enough to kill a beast as big as a coyote, it would die a horrible death being swallowed alive. There'd be a lot of howling, yipping, yelling and ungodly screaming and yelping.

One day, way, way, way back in the late 1800s, a circus wagon train was making its way to San Bernardino for a celebration. The wagons headed up a sandy wash toward the pass with lions and tigers and bears, and of course, a wagon full of deadly cobras from India. The wagons with the lions and tigers and bears were considerably heavier and wore deep ruts in the sand. The wagon carrying the cobras was lighter, and with the wooden roof on top was top heavy. After a bit, the cobra wagon tipped over and all the cobras escaped.

Well, everybody was too afraid of the snakes to collect them so they just left without them. After a couple days the cobras started running into the rattlers. There was snake fights all over the place. Cobras were fighting rattlers and rattlers were fighting cobras. All the rats had been eaten so the victor of each battle got to eat the loser. Now, while rattlers were annoying and mean, the cobras were just plain killers and more often than not, the rattlers were the ones that were dinner.

Now the weird thing is; only the boy rattlesnakes were being eaten by the victors- all over the valley. Eventually the girl rattlesnakes came out of hiding, and the boy cobras married them in little snake wedding cermonies and made passionate love to them during snake honeymoons and eventually then had little snake babies that had the head of a cobra and the body of a rattlesnake. These were the first Mojave Greens.

The story doesn't end here.

The baby snakes, fathered by the victorious cobras had a much more potent venom and horrible, horrible tempers. They like the coyotes to suffer after they were bit and so now they don't have to eat them to make them yelp and howl- just bite them. And they do that all the time and that's why you here the coyotes every night, lying there in pain twitching in the desert.

The end?- not quite...

To the victor go the spoils of war. Being how this war of the snakes went to the killer cobras, and they got all the girl snakes, in their honor they named the area of these battles-- The Victor Valley.

I think my friend's mom was probably crazierthanell. Loved her and her stories though and still drop by the place to listen to another every now and again. She cooked up a great breakfast plate of eggs and... ...bacon?

RL
Grubstaker

Post by RL » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:41 pm

.. baby snakes, fathered by the victorious cobras....
ahamacav: Dude - everyone knows Frank Zappa fathered babysnakes...never was much of a Cobras fan...

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Post by ahamacav » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:19 am

RL wrote:
ahamacav: Dude - everyone knows Frank Zappa fathered babysnakes...never was much of a Cobras fan...
I thought he was one of the Mothers of Invention.

BTW, some time I'll tell her story of 29 Palms (& 145 fingers).

RL
Grubstaker

Post by RL » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:26 am

ahamacav wrote:
RL wrote:
I thought he was one of the Mothers of Invention.

BTW, some time I'll tell her story of 29 Palms (& 145 fingers).
Great story and look forward to 29 palms :D

"Baby Snakes" is a 1977 Frank Zappa Movie about 2h.45' long-now on DVD-V. The movie gives a pretty complete picture of a period of Zappa's career, and also gives the viewer some useful keys to better understand Zappa's work -

This movie contains a live performance of Frank's tune "San Ber'dino".

Wheezer
Breyfogler

Post by Wheezer » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:34 pm

Here's a question for all you snake experts... Has anyone heard of using electric shock to treat a snake bite? I read a story in the Reader's Digest and then heard a story from an old desert rat wherein electric shock was used to treat venomous bites. The Reader's Digest story came from the marketing director of the company that makes Tasers. The old coot in the desert used a sparkplug wire. Damnedest thing I ever heard.

Wheezer

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Post by ahamacav » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:50 am

Wheezer wrote:Here's a question ...

... Has anyone heard of using electric shock to treat a snake bite? I read a story in the Reader's Digest and then heard a story from an old desert rat wherein electric shock was used to treat venomous bites. The Reader's Digest story came from the marketing director of the company that makes Tasers. The old coot in the desert used a sparkplug wire. Damnedest thing I ever heard.
I'm not an expert; I've met experts so I can recognize I'm not one.

I remember hearing this story- I haven't read an RD in years so I must of heard it (sounds like one of my friend's Mom's stories). Must of been back in the olden days when you could look under the hood of a car and tell which wire went to a spark plug.

How do people find the time?- I think if I were bit by a snake I wouldn't climb up and squat under the hood of a running SUV and start probing myself with the ends of wire and cables. Well, maybe if I wanted to bring it to a swift end and my will was in order. There's other stuff going on in there too. I have an uncle (by marriage) that got the end of his finger clipped off checking to see if the engine fan was turning.

Maybe jumper cables. The kind with a little bit of battery acid crusted on the end?

Sounds like a ploy to sell tasers. There's another image- zap yourself with a taser blast on the bite. I wonder if it would just cauterize the wound and seal the juices in?

Either way it'd take your mind off the snake bite.

There's a cool story in there somewhere. At the least, an episode of Myth-Busters.

Serious as a heart attack though, I think the only tried and true method of treating snake bite involves a helicopter ride, doctors, anti-venoms, needles, band-aids, gauze, q-tips, vaseline and proof of insurance.

greatbasinguide
Grubstaker

I

Post by greatbasinguide » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:52 am

I hope ya'll carry the Sawyer Extractor Kit, not the little rubber thingie everyone used to have, but the extractor kit. it locks a suction on the bite and has different sizes for different critters, supposed to work on mosquito and bee stings also.

A friends dog was bitten. The dog laid down in the cold creek for the day. Then was fine.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Product ... REI_SEARCH